I have breastfed for 1 year

Baby hit 1 year old on 28 Jan 2017.   That marks 1 year of breastfeeding and the irony of it,  having a milk blister on that day too.   Ouch!

Baby has started to suckle for fun and thus not getting the milk out on purpose and causing the milk blister.   She likes to suckle to sleep.  And now likes to climb over me or her dad while still in dreamland.

This 1 year,  I didn't exclusively breastfed or pumped.  I had to mixed with formula occasionally until about 6 months.   I still remember when she turned 6 months and the supply was low, as in only left with 2 bottles in the fridge,  we started her with solid immediately and was able to save the bottles for the next day.

I was a low supply mom.   Never leaked.   Never had more than 3 bottles in the fridge in 1 day of pumping.   Never had mastitis.  Bought the milk storage bags but never got to use them as I don't have enough to keep stock.  I pumped today,  feed tomorrow.  

I used to detest pumping like many moms.  But I found a way to enjoy the sessions.  Just watch K-drama while pumping.  No matter how much I pumped,  I can only get 1 Oz per hour.

Baby grew well,  whether it was formula or donated breast milk, frozen or fresh.   She was not fussy.
Then when we exclusively breastfed from 6 months onwards,  she started rejecting formula.   Probably the smell which I also cannot tolerate.

In the beginning of pumping,  I was very afraid she doesn't have enough bottles while I am away at work.   So  I hardly let her latch.   Only latching at night.  When I have to travel somewhere,  even if I bring baby along,  I also would bring my pump.   Worried that I may not get enough if I don't keep some.   It was troublesome.   Having to locate a hotel with fridge and have to sterilise the pump parts every day and bringing ice pack and all the works.

Then slowly I became more confident in direct latching especially during the weekends or the times when I am not at work.   Baby enjoyed it very much and I find that it does increase my yield a little.
But the moment I go back to work and pump,  only the first day I get a good yield.   Then it's back to normal.

I am still pumping now.   But only 3 times a day.  

My aim is to breastfeed for 2 years, as per WHO guideline.

I would like to thank the breastfeeding groups in Facebook.   Like the one I joined is exclusively pumping group,  very helpful and the group is closed,  so I don't have to worry about posting.

Unlike TBAN,  I don't go so often there now.   I used to check the posts but then realised many breastfeeding advocates doesn't support formula or pumping.   It didn't fit my lifestyle.  Also it's a public group so all your friends can see what you posted.   No privacy.   Sure they want to normalised breastfeeding but I prefer my problems to be privately known,  say milk blisters, etc.
Anyway,  here's some tips from my 1 year experience.

1. Join a supportive group on Facebook.   Some groups thrashed mommies who didn't follow what they did.  Find a really good supporting group.

2. Get your husband to sterilise the bottles and pump parts every day.   Save you a lot of work.

3. Keep the pump parts on the fridge when not using and only sterilise once a day.   Works well for me.

4. I don't have the time to make sure the freshly pumped milk doesn't mixed with the older pumped milk.   I just mixed everything together and ensure it is 4 oz each bottle.   Save my time.

5. Pump at the right schedule.   And make sure you keep at the schedule.

6. Nothing has helped to increase my supply.   Just keep pumping.  If need to,  do power pumping.  

7. Find a good lactation consultant for your breastfeeding problems.   Don't pay a breastfeeding consultant.  They are not the same.  Some just want to make money.  Dr Koe is good but always busy and lots of patients.  

8. You can't stop people from telling you that baby is starving and all that.  But learn to just witness and not let these remarks hurt you.

9.  If you struggle with low supply,  top-up with formula.   It's ok.   Not poisonous.  Don't feel bad about it.  Better than letting a baby starve.

10. Initially,  if you are a first time mom,  breastfeeding is not easy.   It also may trigger post-partum depression.   So I would say,  be gentle to yourself and baby.   There were times I cried with baby.   I was angry with her and myself.   I got so many people looking at my breasts as if they were not mine.   In the end,  I have to lower my defenses and accepted formula as part of her diet.   It made my life easier and I felt happier.  And I feel by being happier, baby also happy.

Being a FTWM and exclusively pumping mom is very, very tiring.  But I just don't think too much.  I know one day when I wean her off, I will miss this period very much.  The bond with baby during latching is amazing.  I touched her soft hair while she kept pushing my hands away.  I massaged her legs and feet while she kicked me.  Enjoy as much as you can.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department