The Big Kindy Search Continues

Since my last The Big Kindy Search post, I have been looking around for kindies and been visiting some.  Here's my feel about them all.

Read good reviews about this and decided to check them out, though out of our way and far from home.  I love how the price is quite ok but still a bit on the high side (you can check it out at their website).

I visited the premise and I really love how it is run like a mini primary school.  It's huge, with its own hall, field and canteen, although downsize version and it's just like a school.  Not like a bungalow with rooms as classroom.  

However, I have decided not to send my girl because they will be moving to Sungai Penchala (further up from TTDI, near to the Penchala Link), which will be much further from our home.  Though they do have transporters, but I feel very wary about sending my 4 year old (next year) to a transporter.

What I like about Tadika Diyana is they have 2 medium, English and Chinese.  Chinese medium is in the afternoon session.  And the administrator whom I spoke to, kinda discourage me sending my girl at 4.  Though they do cater 4 years old but she mentioned it's better to let them play at home.  Which I kinda agree too.

Their website is very detailed and neat.  You can find a lot of information there.  I especially like kindy that have their own website or FB page because now, everything is about IT.  If they don't have a website or FB, it just shows that they are still very traditional orientated.    

Tadika Diyana follow Malaysian school holidays.

2) Tadika Chim
I have been thinking about this kindy the most.  My sister used to attend this one.  So you can imagine how many years they have been running.  First, they are quite close to both workplace and home.  My parents really encourage me to send my girl to this one.  Price is also quite reasonable, cheaper than Tadika Diyana.

Upon our visit, found that the security is very tight.  You need to register with the guard in the kindy before you are allowed to walk in.  However, the principal or whoever that I spoke to was a bit unfriendly.  I spoke to her through the window, like drive thru, but this is walk thru?  And the compound has no grass, the playground was on concrete floor.  

What really turn me off was how the teachers were shouting away.  Classes were ongoing but you can't hear the children at all because everyone was shouted to be quiet.  My girl got scared and told me she wants to go back. 

Oh, there is also a Chinese altar in the compound and also in the balcony.  If you don't mind, then it's fine.  

It's true this is a traditional kindy and very academic.  Lots of homework and lots of spelling.  Some parents said their child very naughty, after going to Tadika Chim, became so much better.  I guess it really depends.  The medium is both English and Chinese and they have 2 sessions.  Morning and afternoon.

Btw, this kindy have no website or FB.  Everything is still very traditional.

They follow Malaysian school holidays.

Located at SS2, I like their method of teaching that everything is hands on.  The reviews has been quite good also and it is actually cheaper than Tadika Chim.  The cheapest so far.  They too follow Malaysian school holidays.

The location is also quite near to my home but a bit difficult to get to as it is opposite the LDP where our home is.  So to get there in the morning, we could get caught in a jam.  

They have an FB page.  They are also semi traditional.  The classroom and everything in the kindy is very much a double storey semi D house.  They reared chicken and planted some cotton plants to encourage children to be out in the open more.  The children would feed the chicken and water the plants.  I was also informed by the principal that they have gotong-royong too where all the kids are expected to help out.  I really like the community feeling and everyone to come out and go places.

They don't have separate mediums in the kindy.  Everything is taught in English, but Chinese and Malay are taught as a subject.  Only 1 session as the rest of the day is daycare.  

The number of students in this kindy is quite high.  20 to a class.  The principal is also very friendly and talked to my girl and got her to interact more.

I am super keen to send my girl to this one.  But, she didn't like this.  Instead she likes another kindy which I will elaborate more in the next one.

Started in Ipoh, they have recently open a new franchise here in SS2.  Yes, this is a franchise brand.

Since they are very new, everything in the premise is brand new and so my girl really love it.  What she love the most is they have separate toilets for girl and boy and it's this tiny toilet bowl for kids and so cute.  

This is located opposite the Durian makan place in SS2 and so it is along the main road.  If not mistaken, it used to be one of those Bridal Studio.  During school days, they will open both gates where you can just drop off your kids and drive out.  Like a drive-thru.  

The premise is not very big, and currently not many kids are in there as they are very new.  The price is almost like Tadika Diyana.  They don't follow Malaysian school holidays.  They also have 2 mediums, which at 5 years old, parents have to decide which medium.  It's all in 1 session only and the rest of the day is for daycare.

Their website have some funny malware that I cannot access when I am in the office as it is blocked.  They also have an FB page.  

I too like this place a lot though it is a bit more expensive.  Good thing is they don't go by term.  So you can withdraw anytime and don't have to pay in advance.

The other pre-schools that we visited only at the gate and didn't go in where as follows:

Summer Academy at Damansara Utama
I read good reviews about this so decided to ask them for the fees.  It is quite expensive (4 digit).  I decided to drop by after visited Tadika Chim since it was nearby.  But found that it is very difficult to access due to the gated community funny system.  When we reached the semi-D house, found it is quite isolated, located at a dead-end and facing an empty land.

Their website is outdated and last updated in 2012.  So, it was a turn-off for me.

Tadika Littlebell at Damansara Utama
I have called and asked for prices and their fees are quite reasonable.  However, my mom didn't like the premise at all.  It looks rundown and located at the dead-end, very quiet and not secured.

Tadika Sri Nobel at Kelana Jaya
International pre-school, so the fees are on the high side.  The premise is huge, like a mini school, but I didn't go inside.  Just outside.  

I think I have finished my kindy rounds.  And now we have to decide which kindy we will chose.  I personally love Tadika Didik Johan.  They have recently changed owners and now it is a young owner who response to FB Messenger.  They prefer the hands-on method in teaching, rather than purely academic, which is something I really love.

I do not like conformity which is something that Tadika Chim is practising.  Eduwis too.  I saw the change in my nephew after attending Eduwis.  He became less of a talker and was always afraid to voice out because there will be punishments.  He still a good boy, very good with his studies and courageous during his public performances.   I am not sure what, but I feel the method used to make them memorised and memorised and if made mistakes they get punish, that kind of thing makes him turn off and refused to tell us things that he thinks would make us report to his teachers.  

Perhaps it is just me.  I was scolded all the time and bullied when I was in primary school because of my size.  Teachers would also scold carelessly and I can still remembered them.  I can't express myself freely and when I did, I was almost sexually harassed.  Because of this, I became a scaredy cat.  Refused to talk.  Refused to open up.  Refused to take risk.  Because afraid anything I do, would result in bad consequences.  

I really do not wish my girl to be like me.  She is currently happily expressing herself through songs, all self-made.   She also talks with confidence and full of innocence and wisdom.  

So, I am searching for a place where after going there, my girl would not change her personality but would become better.  Brave to speak her mind and smart enough to know the consequences of her actions and imbibe good moral values where no racism and everyone is the same.  So I would prefer a kindy with mixed race.  Some how I do feel learning centers have more benefits which I am looking to than a traditional kindy.

But then again, some parents really love this kind of conformity which they equate to discipline.  

I also like Big Apple Eduworld, but the premise in SS2 is so new, hardly any students, that makes me think twice if the children get the same as those in the HQ in Ipoh.  

So no conclusion yet.

Comments

  1. Hi rainbowbaby mommy! Thank you so much for doing all the hard work on researching and sharing this out! My girl is also 4yo this year, and we are looking for a suitable kindy for her. I was googling Tadika Chim (as I was having second thoughts) and stumbled upon your blog. Have you decided on which kindy in the end? I have done some research myself too, would love to exchange some views with you, if you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We registered her at Tadika Chim. But she only attended from Jan - Jun 2020 and we took her out because online classes didn't really work well for her and not very comfortable with the Covid situation.

      Delete

    2. I was actually appalled when I saw that my niece had to do so many homework without any guidance from the teachers throughout MCO! Apparently the school did not provide any online support for the teachers, and anything extra will be borne by the teachers themselves. Many parents were apparently quite upset about it and their kids dropped out because of this. This was actually a deterring factor for me :( Then again, post Covid19 I still think MAYBE Tadika Chim is a good idea. Would you consider re-enrolling her into Tadika Chim next year? If not, which kindy do you have in mind?

      Delete
    3. We enrolled her again. It's the most affordable kindy at this point of time for us. If you like traditional style of learning, then this is the kindy to go to as it is very academic based. It's also not very technologically update, say no webpage, no FB, no Whatsapp to contact (except for teachers during MCO). It's harder to contact them. If you prefer your child to learn through play and have lots of fun, not so much on academic but more on soft skills etc, then suggest to check out others.

      Delete
    4. Thank you once again for your insights and sharing. Looks like I'm back to square one haha, I wish I could find a kindy that has a good balance instead. Somehow I think that my girl would be able to cope with it, and have a smooth transition into Chinese primary schools, but I'm really not sure if I'm giving her the best education. I don't know if I want her to follow my footsteps. Traditional education has brought us up well, but somehow our creativity and critical analytical skills are not on par with others. My current idea is we enrol her into Tadika Chim first, if it's really too much for her, then we will enrol her elsewhere more fun based.

      Delete
    5. Ya, I have the same concerns too. Financially can't afford the private kindys but they do teach better skills. Traditional kindys are not bad too. Academically they can learn and mingle and be discipline. I am not so keen on the academic based kindy but it's the cheapest so far. So it's money vs fun. So we are letting her learn academically at kindy and at home we provide all the fun.

      Delete
    6. Actually the other kindys that are montessori and fun based learning are getting more affordable (some that I asked are almost same priced as Tadika Chim), but they might not have the proven track record that their students actually do well in primary schools and later on. We will be sacrificing sleeping hours and enduring traffic jams to send her to PJ because we want the best for her. So I really hope it's well worth our sacrifice. And most importantly, I hope she can get used to the highly academic environment, and still have fun in the midst of it. I hope she doesn't grow to hate school. ;(

      Delete
    7. Oh I see. Then maybe next year your girl and my girl will be classmates.

      Delete
    8. Yes, if everything goes smoothly as planned :) best of luck to us!

      Delete
    9. Btw, if you want to register the morning session, you have to quickly book a place. Not sure how's the response, but many parents preferred morning session.

      Delete
    10. Yes I've heard, I spoke to the principal and I am to bank in the RM500 deductible non refundable deposit before end of this month. I'm wondering if MCO get reinforced next year, how would things change. Oh well, noone knows haha.

      Delete
    11. Yup, no one knows for sure what's going to happen next year. Fingers crossed that everything will be alright. Stay safe!

      Delete
    12. So sorry for the late reply, so much has happened since October! By the way I did not enroll my girl into Tadika Chim, we enrolled her into an established Montessori much nearer instead. But with this curent covid situation, things are not looking good. Praying for the best for our kids!

      Delete
  2. Thanks got the review! Btw Tadika Diyana shutting down. The principal and some teachers will teach at Bestari, Bandar Sri Damansara. Suppose to enroll my kid so I’m in the midst of looking for replacement. Will be visiting Big Apple tomorrow. I like it when they said if CMCO or MCO again, online classes will continue and school fees will be 50% off. Hoping to save some $ in this uncertain time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for the late reply. Yeah, I heard about Tadika Diyana shutting down. It's really too bad! Although my daughter doesn't study there, but I really like the environment.

      I am also in a dilemma don't know if want to register in any kindy, though paid deposit in Tadika Chim. The situation is so fluid.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Rainbow. My daughter is 4 yo. Having hard time to pick a kindy for her. We are thinking to signup Tadika Chim. Another quite new called Tadika Cahaya Merah, have you explored? Can share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wayne,

      I have not explore Tadika Cahaya Merah. My daughter is now 5 and enrolled at Chim. They have limited spaces it seems. So, do call them to enquire.

      Delete
    2. Hi Wayne and Rainbow mom, i was checking out Tadika Cahaya Merah in ss2 too. I have not seen much reviews of it.. hence wonder if you could share any? I am looking for a chinese medium school for my son in preparation for SRJKC. We come from a non-chinese speaking background hence i was advised to enrol him in a chinese medium kindy to help him cope in SRJKC.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I’m interested in sending my child to Tadika Chim. With the current pandemic, I’m curious on how well are they conducting the online teaching since the school is known for traditional teaching and has lower online presence within our community compared to other preschools. Mind sharing your child’s experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Their online classes are very structured and follow the live classroom setting. The children are learning quite well using the books that were provided by them.

      I wish they can continue the online setup for as long as possible as I don't feel comfortable sending my girl back to kindy once it reopens. Honestly, it's not safe and children cannot be vaccinated.

      The teachers are very good with the kids even online.

      Delete
  5. Hi rainbowbaby mommy! I stumbled upon your blog as i'm in search of kindergardens for my 5 yr old. May i hv your feedback on Tadika Chim or any other kindies which your daughter was enrolled in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl! IMHO, Tadika Chim is very much academic based, less play, more on Chinese spelling, memorization, etc. If you are looking for play school or Montessori, this is not the place. It's also very traditional setup, no social media footprint anywhere. Only contactable via face-to-face, email or call.

      However, I must say, it helped my daughter joined Standard 1 easily because of the format and style in Tadika Chim is just like Primary School.

      They have 2 options, whether SJKC or SK style. Both also very academic.

      We didn't regret sending to Tadika Chim. It's the cheapest around town and provide very good academic start.

      Delete
  6. Hello Mommies,

    My girl had been in Tadika TJC from 3-5 years with good English foundation however i found her Mandarin is not good enough so i decided to registered her to Tadika Chim, section 14, PJ when she was 6.

    The teachers are friendly and smart at technology, if you see how they handle online class, cannot imagine thats kindy teacher, their slides, content is much better than the one my team doing as professional, got games, online quiz some more 😅.

    Teacher is also not too strict as how ppl talk about Tadika Chim, proofing by kids love school and happy to go to school everyday.

    I had checked her English, Math book, also not bad, same level with English medium kindy.

    My girl now is in SJKC Yuk Chai, all teachers give compliment on her Mandarin. She has no challenge to read Math and Science in Chinese when does homework. Appreciate what teachers in Tadika Chim did for my girl, only 1 year but her Chinese improve alots. 🥰

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department