Review: The Lion King (2019)

So, we decided to spend my birthday watching The Lion King with other mummies and their kids.  It was fun and we really enjoyed the day out.  But the movie has a mixed review.  Yup, I read the reviews before going and it was lukewarm.  And now that I have watched it, I can totally understand that lukewarm feeling.

Let me just summarized it.  It was like watching National Geographic.

The songs are still great.  But I totally cannot comment on the acting because they are all CGI-created and you can't expect real animals to have emotions right?  Like smiling, crying, laughing, anger?  So, yeah, that sums up the whole movie.  Cinematography was great too.

The animals were talking but they have no emotions.  Nothing in their eyes.  

Half way through the movie, my girl got a bit bored and kept asking me if the movie is over.  Well, I am not sure if they can make it better but the colour of the lions and the colour of Pride Rock is the same, almost camouflaging.  But I do admit, they stayed true to the original animation.  Pride Rock looks exactly like that.  Certain details were changed, which I won't spoil it.  Go watch it if you want to know what changed.

And the animals all looked the same to me.  Except for Scar, which is quite apparent.  But I can't differentiate Nala with Sarabi or the hyenas with one another.  Even when Simba was young.  I can't tell who is Simba and who is Nala.  Guess, it was a bit different with the animation where we can make that very clear.

There are some comedic parts, especially with Timon and Pumbaa.  But very, very limited.  Only towards the end you can hear people laughing in the cinema.

Initially I thought my girl would enjoy it.  But she didn't watch the original animation and has no idea what was going on because she cannot see the emotions and cannot understand most of the dialogue.  Only the singing parts she paid attention and the fighting parts.  She had no idea why we laughed because Timon and Pumbaa said some jokes and it was funny but they were not laughing, they have no emotions, remember.  

If you plan to bring your kids to watch, I would suggest for them to watch the original animation first to get the story line.  

And the new Beyonce song.  Hmm.  No comment.  I can't even remember how it sounds like.

Now I am hoping the other Disney remake will fare better.  Coming up next is Mulan?  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department