Why is it so difficult to decide on which mobile phone to buy?

Hello readers!  I have been taking a super long break and this is the first post in 2021 and nothing related to children or mothers or schooling or anything related to them.

This post is created just for 1 reason:  for mobile phone developers to read and take note.  Just in case they see this post.

It's 2021.  I have been using a Huawei Nova 2 Plus phone since 2017.  Phone is now 4 years old going to 5.  It's still working fine but it's aging.  It's slow and laggy especially if I want to open certain apps.  Fingerprint sensor isn't as quick as before.  Screen is not at its best now during scrolling.  Sometimes can jam on 1 page.  Battery life is diminishing despite just changing a new battery last year.

But overall, this phone has served me well and I can honestly say this, I love Huawei phones.  And I swore that I would not touch another brand phone anymore when I started owning one.

I was a Samsung and Xiaomi user before this.  And those phones could only last me for 2 years at the most.  Samsung very quickly filled up the storage until I have no choice but to switch phone while Xiaomi just one day died suddenly, the phone it is (can't even remember which one).

So moving on.  Since my Huawei is aging, I feel it's about time to replace it, albeit reluctantly.  I mean it's 4 years old and it's still good.  My storage is still half empty.  The biggest reason to replace was because when I tried to open MySejahtera, sometimes it hangs on that page and I had to restart my phone to get it open.  And nowadays, we need to open MySejahtera like on-the-spot.  

I started researching for the latest phones and OMG what a surprise I was in.

Firstly, I have wanted so much to replace my Huawei with another Huawei, probably flagship phone.  Unfortunately with the Google Ban, it's quite impossible to use the phone.  I have actually asked people around me about it.  YouTube, Gmail, Google Photos, Google Drive and anything Google related can't be open at all.  

Then there are ways of going around to get GMS on Huawei but with Android ban as well, it can't sync with certain car's bluetooth or so I heard.  I mean I want a phone that is convenient.  Not a phone that will create more problems.

So I am sorry Huawei.  I love you but I can't have you.

Since Huawei is out of the list, I was wondering which other brand can perform as good as Huawei.  There are so many brands out there.  OnePlus, Vivo, RealMe, Oppo, Xiaomi, iPhone, Samsung, Sony, Asus and so on.  

I started to list down my requirements for a phone:

  1. Headphone jack is a must (if no then at least when connected via USB-C it should have the same sound quality).  Reason being I do a lot of voice recording and it sounds much nicer with a headphone that comes with a microphone.  Hands down.  Of course there are better mic system and all, but for a phone to record, you don't really need a huge mic for it.
  2. Micro SD card slot.  Well, this can be optional if I can get a phone with bigger storage at a reasonable price.  Reason being is because my current Huawei which is 128GB has a micro SD card which is 32GB.  So, I need a phone that is bigger than 128GB.
  3. Good camera system.  The Huawei that I have is a mid-range phone and does not have the best camera in the market.  One thing I have truly missed in the past 4 years is macro shot which I really loved using.  So, I would love my new phone to have a macro function.  And I have started taking lots of videos for my girl and would love to continue with that.
And that was it.  I am not a gamer, so I don't really need a phone that is superb LED display and fast refresh rate and superb stereo audio.

I mean most of the time my phone is on silent mode.  Only time audio is on is when I am watching videos from my phone and it doesn't need to be deafening.  Just enough for me to hear is enough, no need the whole world to know what I am watching.

So, I started with a list of phones with headphone jack.

  1. Asus Zenfone 8 - Saw many YouTubers recommended this phone.  But when I actually read the reviews of actual users, many are complaining of overheating and some technical error.  Also no macro camera.
  2. Samsung A52s 5G - This was one phone that I really contemplated buying after watching numerous YouTube videos.  Until one actual user commented that it sometimes can't detect WiFi (maybe just his/her unit) but that was a big No-No for me.  I already have a Samsung Tab at home for my girl and it is true that it's filled with bloatware and taking up space in her Tab.  So, Samsung, please don't just download app for us.  Let us do it ourselves.  Oh and many actual users now complaining about loose frame because of the plastic frame.  
  3. Sony phones - Superb camera system but too pricey.  I need a phone that also has a camera.  Not the other way round.
  4. Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro - Hubby is currently using and he said it's great.  But I feel it's too big and bulky and heavy.  Also, read the reviews and it's not that great compared to other similar phones.  Biggest let down for me is when I was put on a voice call with my girl, I can't hear her most of the time.  The quality is quite poor.
  5. OnePlus Nord CE 5G - No macro camera.  Bummer.
So, those phones with headphone jack are very limited.  Unless I want to buy an older phone which again is a No-No for me.  

Then I thought, oh well, if I don't get a headphone jack, at least an extension will do the trick (I hope).  I don't mind buying the extension so that it works.  So more phone options open up.  These are the ones I was interested in because of the price range.

  • iPhone 13 Mini - When it was first launched, many YouTubers had high opinions of this phone compared to the iPhone 13.  I was intrigued and wanted to know more.  
But the problem is, I have been an android user all this time (except a short time when I owned an iPad 2).  I was wondering if I switched to Apple ecosystem, what are the things I have to give up?  

Flexibility to customize on Android phones and finger print sensor.  Oh no.  These are what makes it so convenient to own a phone.  Why didn't iPhones has finger print sensor?  Why didn't they allowed their user to customize their phones?  Sorry iPhone users, I don't mean to offend you.  Please understand that I came from Android to not having this.  It's a bit uncomfortable.  Also, iPhone 13 mini does not have a macro camera.  If I want the latest iPhone with a macro camera, it has to be iPhone 13 Pro or iPhone 13 Pro Max which is totally out of my budget.

And what do I get if I buy an iPhone?  Brand, quality and good support system.  

  • Xiaomi Poco F3 - This came highly recommended by many YouTubers for a mid-range phone that is sometimes called a flagship killer.
In fact, I was much interested to get this phone after reading actual user reviews.  Price range is good.  Everything else is good.  Except, the camera is a bit wonky when compared to other phones.  Also one user highlighted that when he/she used an extension to connect the headphone, the sound quality dropped and volume is too low.  Oh well.  Also, read that Xiaomi doesn't fix their bugs on their system.  They just keep on creating new phones but don't really pay attention to the existing ones.  Double wham.  Oh another problem was highlighted.  Phone dimming.

  • OnePlus Nord 2 - Also came highly recommended but again there are weaknesses.   
Oxygen OS has been highly praised and raved by many YouTubers.  I have always wanted to try my hands on one.  Unfortunately, some users said the updates are not frequent and although OnePlus promises, but sometimes promises are broken.  That's a bit disappointing considering I want a phone that get updates after years of owning.  Even my Huawei still has some updates.  Last one was in 2020. Oh and this phone doesn't have macro camera.  Boo!

Then there are Xiaomi phones, a huge variety, from Mi to Redmi to Poco.  Many users are saying they are only good for 2 years.  Also they come with lots of ads in the phone itself, which can be annoying.  Also MIUI is not as great as compared to One UI.  

Then there are Samsung phones, from flagship to mid-range, huge variety too.  But bloatware is a turn-off.

Then there are other unexplored brands, Oppo and Realme and Vivo.  Hmm...so far I don't hear YouTubers raving about them.  Or maybe I am not hearing from the right people.

  • Honor 50 - With GMS again!
When they announced Honor 50 comes with GMS, I was all excited.  Wow!  Huawei is back with GMS.  Until I read that Honor has been separated from Huawei, which is the reason why they can have GMS back.

I wanted to know more.  But just moments after it's launched, the first impression by few YouTubers has been a let-down.  Almost like Huawei, but doesn't have Huawei's system.  New feature of vlog is great but I am not an influencer.  Just an ordinary working mom who just want to watch videos during her free time and capture some beautiful moments with her little girl.

  • Google Pixel 6 - A new flagship
This phone doesn't come to Malaysia.  But there are ways to get them.  I was interested and listen to more.  But something just doesn't add up.  Good camera but not that great.  

  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 Pro - To be announced....
This phone got my attention.  It has headphone jack.  It has micro SD card slot.  It has macro camera.  It seems to have everything I wanted and I would assume the price to be reasonable.  Let's see.

Conclusion:  No conclusion yet.  Still looking for the perfect phone for me.  Like I said I just need one with a good camera (not necessarily perfect), with macro shots, with headphone jacks and with micro SD card slot.  Looks like one phone that currently meets all this is Samsung Galaxy A52S 5G and Redmi 11 Note Pro (launching soon).  Worse come to worse, I would just forgo the macro camera and take telephoto instead.  I truly wish US will stop banning Huawei.  It's like one of the best phone ever.  To be continued...

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department