Mr Sunshine

Alas, the drama ended with tears and heartache.  I must say, this is one heck of a drama.  The writer and director duo is the greatest combination ever.  First it was Descendants of the Sun (DotS), then Goblin and now this.  All are superb and the best.

With DotS, I found many inconsistencies with the show.  Like how can the main lead kept on surviving is beyond me.  It wasn't realistic at all.  But it makes my heart flutters a lot.

With Goblin, I fell in love with the bromance and the mystical story line.  Though I felt really uncomfortable between the male and female lead's romance due to their huge age difference and their lack of chemistry, I thoroughly enjoyed the show.  I wasn't in for their romance, but more for the bromance and the sword and the ghost who went for them.

With Mr Sunshine, sigh, where do I start?  First the cinematography was captivating.  The story didn't start out on a popular note despite having the best writer and director and actors and actresses in it.  Koreans didn't like the initial part due to inconsistencies in history but since I am not familiar with Korean history, I didn't really care about that.

Then many netizens found the story line is dragging and the romance was almost non-existence.  But I didn't think so.  I thought the whole story line was necessary to build the momentum towards the end.  To show us their pure love and how love can make one sacrifice their lives.  I was indeed sad that so many people died (oops, sorry for the spoiler), but it was expected.  That era, I read, was the most difficult for Koreans.  

Kudos to the writer and director.  You made me read Korean history when I don't even know our Malaysian history well.  I was extremely puzzled about that era and read everything about Emperor Gojong and what happened to Empress Min and all that.  Empress Min's death was excluded from the show but it wouldn't have changed much, I feel, since her character was not the main story.  

The struggle, the pain, the deaths, the heartbreak was just too real.  Wars are truly sad and I am sadder that even today, in the 21st century, war is still happening.   

I am glad though, someone have recorded those years so well that it can be made into a drama.  I am always amazed at sageuk dramas as I love Korean history for some strange reasons.  I am also into Chinese history, but more for their live in the palaces etc.  Not so much about politics.  Like since Story of Yanxi Palace is going on (though I am not watching), I started reading about Emperor Qinglong and his concubines.  Not so much about what he did or did not do.  But more about his life and who he married and who were his concubines.

Back to Mr Sunshine, this has to be the best Korean drama of 2018.  Although many people argued that My Mister was the best, I can't seem to watch My Mister for some reason.  Perhaps because the first few episodes were just too gloomy or that the drama show so much of truth in our lives that I can't seem to watch my life being reflected on it.  I just can't move past Episode 3.  

OK, now that Mr Sunshine has ended, I need a comedy now.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department