Our first class at Happy Fish

If you have read my earlier post about swimming classes for babies, you would have an idea of our first class with this instructor which I will not name for privacy purposes.  Now this is not a paid advertisement by Happy Fish.  Neither it is a review since we only attended 1 class.  I will just share our first impression about Happy Fish at Sunway Pyramid.

Long before I got pregnant, I came to know the story of the owner who started Happy Fish in Singapore.  It was truly from rags to riches kind of story and was quite amazing.  

When I was searching for a baby swimming class when my girl was 6 months old, I found out that Happy Fish had opened a school at Kota Damansara.  However, I don't really like to go to that area because it is pretty congested during weekends.  So I decided to sign up to some place nearer to home.

However, after 3 terms at this place which I will not name, I am not satisfied with the progress that my girl made.  I was also not happy with how the instructor taught as there was no syllabus and sometimes 2 classes happened at the same time and we got ignored and left to practice on our own.

We stopped after the 3 terms and took a year break.  I was still keen to sign my girl up again but was worried that the next instructor will be the same as the first.  I mean I paid quite an amount of money for the class and didn't get as much as I wanted.

When I found out that Happy Fish will be opening a new branch at Sunway Pyramid, I was excited.  Immediately enquired and found that they are opening in October 2018.  I signed up immediately.  I worked in Sunway and know my way around Sunway.  Although it is further to my home, but since my girl is now bigger, I am confident to bring her out on my own.

I paid RM660 for 10+2 FOC classes, which is considerably cheaper than the previous one that we attended as we paid RM600 for 8 classes only.  

When we arrived at the place, we have to place our shoes outside on the shoe rack before we enter.  This is the same as the previous place except there was no shoe rack.  At the reception counter, we were greeted and attendance marked on the computer.  Same as the previous place too except attendance was manually marked.  

The lady at the reception was very friendly and first thing was to check my girl's temperature and her hands and feet to see if there are any red dots.  I am so pleased with this precaution step as some parents can be quite ignorant when it comes to sickness.  I will share a story about this later...a heartbreaking story.  Previous place didn't take this step but only warned the parents not to bring in the kids if they are sick.

We were shown the locker, the shower place, the toilet and the swimming pool of course.  Since the place is very new, everywhere was clean and new.  Unlike the previous place.  

Locker has no lock, which is fine with me as I trusted the parents who bring their kids there.  Since I am alone with my girl, I don't have another person to help me to look after my belongings.  After changing and putting on the Happy Fish jersey which is compulsory for parents, we took a shower before going into the pool.  I am so pleased that we get some warm-up time before the class.  You can go into the pool as early as half an hour before the class.  This wasn't in place in the previous place.  We have to wait until the previous class finish before entering the pool.

When the previous class ended and it was time for our class, we entered the pool with our kids.  The coach was young and friendly and very good with children.  In fact, most of the people working there are young people and give you that vibrant feeling instead of dark and dingy and sad. 

Now here is what I truly like.  The class is so well organised and with syllabus.  The parents were taught what to do in a proper order.  I find some of the techniques were almost the same as the previous place, even used the same songs.  And we get to try it out on our kids.  Of course the span of 30 minutes is too short for us to do much for our first class.  We just basically got a taste of what we have to do with our kids and what to practice at home.

Everything else from then on was just the same.  Shower, change and leave.

My girl has been in love with water since the first place and has been bugging me to go swimming for a longest time before I signed her up at Happy Fish.  So, you can imagine how happy she was being in the water.

What we love about Happy Fish Sunway Pyramid:
1. The staff ensured the kids does not have fever or red dots on their skin before entering the pool.
2. The pool is heated and salt-chlorinated.
3. The entire place is brightly lit.
4. The coach is friendly and good with kids.
5. The classes are well organised and technique taught was properly explained.

What we wish certain things can be improve:
1. Hmm...I don't think they can do much about this but the shower cubicle is rather tight and small.  When I tried to close the door, it hit my foot as the door was very low and there was no gap.  In a way it is safe for kids so that babies don't crawl out.  But you don't have much space to bath your kids and yourself.  If you are especially obese, this is not the place to go.
2. The entire place was glass panel, therefore it is bright from the sunlight which I like but everyone from the outside can see what was going on inside.  This includes security guards, passer-by, cleaners, etc, etc.  There was also a side door (not sure if it is open or close), which is not guarded or secured by lock.  Perhaps they can tint the glass so that we can see outside but not the other way round.
3. Anyone can take photos unlike the previous place where photos and videos were strictly prohibited unless the instructor gave permission.  Though those who took the photos are parents, I am not comfortable not knowing where the photo of my girl may turn up.  There are many sex predators lately and pedophiles everywhere, it's better be safe.  After reading about this WhatsApp group in Malaysia where pedophiles roamed, found that someone posted a young girl in swim wear.  And all these pedos were commenting on her private part though she was all covered.  It was disgusting.

Overall, we had a pleasant first class and we are looking forward to many more classes to come.  For more info, you can check out their website.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department