The Big Kindy Search

Year 2018 is coming to an end.  Which means school holidays are starting soon.  Which means the new school term will start in 2019. Which means my girl will be turning 3 soon.

Actually, I have no intention to send her to kindy yet.  I feel 3 years old is a bit too young and I don't want her to be bog down with homework, etc.   I have heard some mommies commenting that they have regretted sending their first born too early to school.  As a consequence, the child became traumatize by school and refused to step foot into any school.  So for their next child, they only sent when the child turns 4.

But that didn't stop me from going around searching for a kindy.  I know I know...I am being a bit paranoid.  Kiasu.

Since there are so many kindy out there and the price varies, I have decided that I will not check out those big franchise names kindy.  Like RKids, QD, EDW, etc.  I do have my reasons.  Let me tell you one by one.  Now, I won't be putting their full name as I don't want to be sue for defamation.  

RKids
I have read some parents commenting that certain RKids branches are not good and vice versa, depending on the location.  Best is to meet with the principal to understand more.  My aunt happened to work in one of the branches and she told me the syllabus is not that great.  Too many different activities until the children can't even master 1 single one and English is quite poor in that branch.

One of my colleague sent her elder child to RKids and was totally turn-off by the teachers and principal.  So for her second child, she sent her somewhere else.

I was considering this as an option for my girl as my company assist to subsidise us if we sent our child to this branch near our work place.  But after hearing the reviews above, I am having second thoughts.

QD
Many years ago, for my first job, I started as an Assistant Teacher in one of the branch.  I was assisting the 3 year old class.  Not sure if there are any changes in the syllabus now but this is one popular franchise.  The branch that I worked for was located in a upper class neighborhood and therefore the children came from wealthy family and some are quite spoiled.  As assistant teacher, the principal specifically told me never to scold or beat any children.  But when any of the child was crying, the first person in line who get scolded by the principal are the teachers.  With or without reason.

After working for 6 months, I decided enough is enough.  Some parents are not appreciative but 1 mommy gave me a pen on my last day.  

While I don't really know the syllabus well, I believe it all comes down to the teachers and the principals.  So since then, I am a bit turned off by this branch of franchise.  Perhaps other branches are better.  But they are on the expensive side.

EDW
My nephew is in one of branch of this franchise.  Personally I feel his development is average.  Before going to the school, he was inquisitive and talkative.  But since started school, he only do things when he is told and doesn't do anything on his own.  My worry of the next spoon feeding generation has started.  He hardly brings back homework and all the reading and writing was mostly done in the school.  The Management's English is very poor and full of grammatical errors in their notices and announcements.  Therefore, I am highly turn-off by this franchise.  

OK, now back to my search since I am cutting down all these 3 kindies.

First, I researched and found that the syllabus for pre-schoolers are aplenty.  Here are the syllabus available:

Montessori
This is the most common and popular syllabus.  Their theme is Learn Through Play and doesn't focus heavily on the academics, meaning no need to memorise any words, spelling, dictation, etc.  Many kids enjoyed this syllabus a lot because of the amount of play they get and at the same time learning too.

Fungates
This is a Malaysian-developed syllabus.  Another fun way of learning.  I feel it's almost like Montessori.  It's a hands-on learning and this syllabus is registered with MOE.  Lots of good reviews on this learning technique.  

Waldorf
This originates from Germany.  They focus on hands-on and creative play.  Read more about it here.  

Actually, this blog has more details about the 3 syllabus.  

Now, each franchise have their own system as well.  

R.E.A.L Kids focuses on the 5 Cs i.e Character, Collaboration, Communication, Critical Thinking and Creativity.  

Q-dees's core values are Learn to Love, Love to Learn and Love the Community.  

Smart Readers.  I went through the website and can't find what they are teaching actually.  Maybe I am not looking at the right place.  It feels very business minded and corporate.  Go to the web and see for yourself.

Eduwis uses a thematic approach in teaching.   

3Q MRC is very academic.  If you plan to send your child to Chinese primary school, this will be a good foundation.  Lots of workbook, lots of homework and very Chinese-based and they used flash cards.  I read somewhere that they just got MOE's approval for their syllabus.  The syllabus originated from Singapore.

If you prefer the traditional kind of kindergarten, like the ones you used to go, they are very academic based and lessons are conducted in a classroom environment, i.e student looks at the board and sit in a row, there are many out there.

The government setup Taska is also good.  They are relatively cheap but not sure how is the quality.

Recently I have decided to drop-by one of the 3Q MRC to check them out.  First impression I get is the price is very reasonable and something that I can afford and willing to pay.  However, the branch was looking rather sad, old banners hanging, garden not trimmed, etc and the teachers were so stern that I got a little turn-off.  But the principal was very friendly and young which is a good sign.  Since this franchise is very academic based, I guess if I were to send my girl to a Chinese school, this will be a good foundation for her.  But to start memorising words at 3 years old is a bit too much I feel.  

I have read very good reviews about Summer Academy and decided to text them about their packages.  Price is higher than 3Q MRC but lower than Peter and Jane.  Their website have not been updated since 2012 and the phone numbers in their website is redundant.  I feel a bit turn-off when I see a website that is not updated.  Either they are lack of staff or lack of finances or just not interested to update.  It gives off a bad impression.  And not only that, there isn't a proper FB page.  Sigh.  But then again, reviews were really good and there is a waiting list.

There is one kindergarten that I really like.  It's the Madeleine Kindergarten at Jalan Othman.  What I like is it is a big kindergarten, like a primary school.  Although it was founded many years ago, they updated themselves to the latest syllabus and using Fungates.  Also, it is registered with MOE.  The only difficulty that I foresee is that it is very, very far from my home.  And Jalan Othman is super, super jam.  I like this kindy because it is traditional and yet it is using the latest syllabus.

And the final option I have been weighing on is using Jolly Phonics to teach my girl on my own.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department