Disney Renaissance Era

Disney Renaissance Era was at its peak during my childhood.  So I got to watch all the movies then, started with The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules and Mulan.  Except for Tarzan.

Here's my honest review about them.  

The Little Mermaid
I was in my primary school when I first watched it.  While I really love Prince Eric, I felt Ariel was a bit of a fool.  Imagine I was 10 at that time and I felt that.  I love the songs though, all of them were very nice, especially 'Under the Sea' and 'Kiss the Girl' and 'Part of Your World'.  

When Ariel lost her voice, I was so frustrated at how silly she could be, to give up her voice so that she can have legs to meet with Prince Eric.  I mean, come on.  And the whole process of trying to get Prince Eric to kiss her without telling him who she was because she can't talk or sing is a bit frustrating.

Beauty and the Beast
This was one of my personal favourite and I would ranked this number one on my list.  Belle was so smart and not silly like Ariel.  The whole story line was just beautiful and I don't feel stress or frustrated watching it.  In fact, it all felt so nice and light.

I love all the songs in there, yes ALL of them.  I bought the original cassette tape of the original soundtrack and would listen over and over again.  I especially like 'Belle', 'Gaston', 'Be Our Guest', 'Something There' and of course, 'Beauty and The Beast'.

However, do note that I did not enjoy the remake 2018 version with Emma Watson as Belle.  She is smart but she doesn't have the pleasant look like Belle.  She was sulky and doesn't smile and have no chemistry with anyone.

Aladdin
Aladdin would be number two on my list.  It also gives a very nice and peaceful feeling when watching.  Although all of these movies have happy endings, but I would tell you why some of them I felt so stress watching it.

Again, all the songs were fantastic.  'Arabian Nights', 'Prince Ali', 'Friend Like Me' and 'A Whole New World'.

I do love Naomi Scotts' version of Princess Jasmine.  I think she is so beautiful and intelligent and funny too.  But I didn't like Mena Massoud as Aladdin.  Somehow he doesn't fit into that handsome prince category.  And I love Will Smith as the Genie!  He was the best and really stood out!

The Lion King
Now, this is the first movie out of the whole Disney Renaissance Era that someone good died.  So, it left a bitter aftertaste.   As a young child watching this, to see Mufasa died while protecting Simba, I was enraged actually.  Angry that Simba puts his father into danger and when his uncle Scar said that Simba was the one who causes his father to die, I think he is right, although Scar masterminded it.  And you can't turn back time, even in cartoons.  And to lose your father at such a young age, I feel so bad for Simba but at the same time can't help but feel 'serve him right'.

I am a bit hesitant to watch the upcoming movie because of this.  I don't want to cry in the theatre with my girl watching.  

I do love all the songs in there, 'Circle of Life', 'Hakuna Matata', 'Can't Wait To Be King' and 'Can  You Feel The Love Tonight?'

Pocahontas
Despite loving some of the songs in this movie, I can't really remember the story line, somehow.  Perhaps because I tried to erase them from my memory of this one because it didn't really have the happy ending that we all wanted.  Smith and Pocahontas were separated at the end.

I love 'If I Never Knew You', 'Just Around the Riverbend' and 'Colors of The Wind'.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame
This was the one movie that is not about a princess.  In fact, the original book has a sad ending to it, which the plays are now adapting to follow according to the book, where Esmeralda died and Quasimodo murdered his guardian. 

After watching this cartoon, I have mixed feelings although it was a happy ending.  Somehow I felt Quasimodo should be with Esmeralda but I started questioning myself if I would love someone not based on appearance?  In the end, I felt sad for Quasimodo.  His guardian died and Esmeralda left with Phoebus.  So he was alone.        

I love 'Somewhere', 'God Help The Outcasts' and 'Hellfire'.

Recently, I chanced upon the play version of it on YouTube.   They stayed close to the original except they changed the endings which I mentioned above to follow closer to the book.  The songs and everything else were the same.  In fact, they also made Frollo more humane.  

I think it was such an amazing show.  It's a shame they didn't get to Broadway.  

Hercules
Now this is one of my personal favourite too.  It will be third after Aladdin on my list.   It's sad that the reception wasn't that great.  Firstly, no one died in there.  Hades is the God of the Underworld and he can't die.  Secondly, I love ALL the songs.  'Long Ago', 'The Gospel Truth', 'Zero to Hero', 'I Won't Say (I'm in Love)', 'Go the Distance'.

It leaves me with a happy and satisfied feeling that makes me want to watch over and over again.

Mulan
Hmm, again mixed feelings about this although no one died.  Perhaps because although Mulan is from China, Disney didn't make it look Chinese.  The altar, the makeup (no Chinese would put white powder all over the face that looks like Japanese Geisha), a pet cricket (come on, a pet pig would be better) and something else that I can't seem to put my finger on, just doesn't speak Chinese.

I love 'Reflection', 'True To Your Heart'.  I really hope the remake version would fair better.

Music
The music were mostly created by Alan Menken, Tim Rice and Howard Ashman.  I think this collaboration was the best.  Alan Menken is a sheer genius.  All his songs were a hit.  Same goes for Tim Rice.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department