Review: Aladdin - 2019

During the Raya break, took my little girl to watch Aladdin.  We enjoyed it thoroughly and she watches it immensely only at the singing parts and started walking around during the talking parts.

I have watched the 1994 version before and I find the real life version very similar to the 1994 cartoon version.  The songs were build up with a bit more modern tune compared to the classic ones, with a bit of rap here and there and some EDM (Electronic Dance Music) here and there.  I have been binge-ing on the soundtrack before the movie, both versions and found that they added more electric guitar, more tabla (Indian classical drums) and tweak a bit to sound more Arabic like to it compared to the classical version.

Character wise, I really love Will Smith's portrayal of the Genie.  Although no one can ever beat the Robin Williams's version in the original version, but Will Smith gave another portrayal, which is quite true to the original version and yet his own personality in the current version shows.  

As for the other characters, hmm....I think Aladdin was so-so, the character I mean.  Princess Jasmine stood out this time, especially when she is in her beautiful dresses.  As for the Sultan, he was meek and weak.  As for the Jafar, he is the worst.  If they had cast someone who can be comedic and yet evil, that would be great.  Jafar is just not commanding enough and boring.  Only his pesky parrot listens to him.  Even his looks were not evil enough, unlike the cartoon version.  

The story line is very close to the original.  The scenes were beautiful.   The cinematography was indeed amazing and some may comment that the CGI was a bit over-the-top.  But I think it's still better than China's CGI.

Overall, the movie was great!   But to be honest, as much as I like Will Smith as the Genie, I didn't really like his singing.  It's just not expressive enough, I feel.  Well, that's my take on the movie.

Looking forward to The Lion King in July.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department