My views on R.u.n.n.i.n.g Man - Korean variety show

Just want to take a break from my busy work life at the moment.  I haven't been updating my blog for a while now.  Don't have the time.  Too busy at work.  Just day in day out, just trying to finish whatever on hand.  But right now, I can't think anymore.

As many of you already know by now, R Man will be ending soon.  There were some controversy in between that causes its demise, which was quite unfortunate.

I came to know about this show just 2 years back, although it has been going on for the past 7 years.  I first started watching 1N2D and I love the original casts.  Then came R Man and I love how it was so light-hearted and funny.  So, I started from the very first episode and manage to catch up all 7 years in 2 years time.  Right now, it's part of my K-drama/variety show routine.

I love everyone in R Man.  I love their chemistry.  I just love how they communicate with each other.  It's funny.  The games were fun and exciting.  R Man managed to make themselves known to the whole of Asia, unlike other Korean variety shows, people in other parts of Asia fell in love with all the cast members.

But over the years, the games repeated itself and viewers became bored and ratings dropped.  If I were to compare it with Infinity Challenge (IC), I would say IC is more appealing and has a better life span because of it's meaningful existence.  Although non-Koreans may not understand the show well, I like the concept better.  R Man is all about taking off the opponent's name tag and running here and there and chasing and so on.  How many episodes can you do that?  Although they have other games as well, but it's all about having fun.  Nowadays, people want to see how you give back to the society, which IC is doing and 1N2D by introducing touristy places.

But that said, RM has never had any controversial members, unlike other similar variety shows, like 1N2D and IC.  Throughout the 7 years, none of them resigned or left the show (with the exception of Song Joong Ki).  Only until recently, Gary decided to leave on his own to pursue his music career.  Like 1N2D's original cast, one by one started having some controversy.  Started with Kang Ho Dong, then MC Mong.  Then slowly, the original cast left.  But they manage to kick-start with Season 2 with new members.  Although the ratings were poor, they soon revived it with Season 3 with another group of new members and they survived!  

As for IC, Gil had DUI and then followed by Noh Hong Chul.  And then they recruited new member Kwanghee and another original cast left due to anxiety.

But RM has never had anyone who left due to breaking the law or exhaustion.  It was tough as Song Jihyo and Lee Kwangsoo were both actors and as they concurrently filmed RM and their drama.  As for Yoo Jaesuk, he was in multiple variety shows.  Haha, Gary and Kim Jongkook are singers.  They managed to stay together throughout.  Although in between there were Song Joong Ki who is now a world famous star thanks to DOTS.  

Overtime, I think the games and activities is taking a toll on their health and body.  Like Kim Jongkook, although goes to the gym everyday, but still struggled with pain due to his health problems.  And all of them are not in their 20s now.  Some almost entering 50.  

But no matter what, I love how closed they are.  In the recent episodes, you can really see how the 7 years together make them feel like a family.  

I am sad that it is ending soon.  I hope they will not just end it, instead kick-start with Season 2, perhaps with a whole new cast members.  And perhaps new ideas.  I don't know.  Just like how Family Outing and X-Man ended, RM also has its life span, unfortunately.

Viewers crave for new ideas, new shows.  Perhaps they can do running show while doing charity?  Oh, done that before?  Or perhaps copy a bit of IC and start doing things that attracts Koreans?  Because the ratings were based on Korean viewership and not international.  

Thank you RM for providing so much of fun and laughter to all your fans and viewers.  It's through RM that I got to know more about Korean variety shows.  Thank you for all the 7 years of hard work.  I hope and wish all of you a better future and hopefully we get to see you all again.  I will miss you all and your chemistry together.  Hopefully we can see you all again, perhaps in another show?  All in all, please give your best for the last few episodes.  And make it worthwhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department