Top 10 tips for new mom on breastfeeding

I have effectively breastfed for 1.5 years now.  In the beginning it was a struggle as I have chronicled out in this blog.  It would have helped if someone has spoke to me about it before I gave birth, someone who doesn't charge me for their services, someone who knows my struggles, someone who is helpful and genuinely want to help.  So here's some tips, hoping to help some new moms to overcome the struggles.  

1. TBAN
If you have any queries, you can always post in TBAN on Facebook asking the other mommies for advice.  However, bear in mind, your post will be available for public.  So if you have some private kind of questions, say you have a problem with your nipple, or your breast is swollen and you are not sure if it is mastitis and you want others to see your pictures, or your baby's private parts are red and you want to share the picture.  So before you post any photos, please keep this in mind.  Your post is public, meaning anyone of your friends or friends of your friends can view your post.  In fact, since the group is open to all, anyone who click into the group can view your post.

Also, if you have any queries about formula, try not to ask in TBAN since it is a breastfeeding group and not formula group per se.  Since formula vs breast milk is always quite controversial, if you can, ask in other mommy's group on Facebook.  Like Mummies Connect Everyday Here - Sharing is Caring or the latest group called Mummies of Malaysia.

2. Breastfeeding class before birth
I didn't join any but I feel if I have join one good breastfeeding class before giving birth, I might be able to go through the struggles better.  In fact, reading books doesn't help.  Neither is googling.  Because after birth, everything is very overwhelmed and you are overexcited with your newborn.  So, you don't have time at all to read books on breastfeeding.  Probably you have some time to Google about it.  But if you want some practical, then joining a class might be useful.  Theory is what theory is.  Words.  And if you have a very good memory, probably you can remember how to use the techniques that you have read.  But if you are like me, who had a pregnancy brain, then I prefer something practical.  Yup, that's just me.

3. Nursing in Public
I am a very shy person and especially when it comes to public, I am not comfortable to expose any part of my body.  But there are times when baby get cranky when you are out in the open and you can't get access to the nursing room in the mall or it's full.  That's when a good nursing cover is useful.  I have bought a couple and here's the review of each one.

a) Autumnz Nursing Wrap

This one is good if you want to pump in public.  But not so good for nursing.  Because the material is kinda like stick to your skin, not cotton, imagine you have a baby on your lap and you have this cover on.  The cover will be touching baby's face unless you hold the cloth but then you have to hold your baby too.  It's quite cumbersome.

b) Autumnz POSH Nursing Cover

I was using this for the longest time.  I find that it is a very good cover that hides my breasts and the baby very well.  I also like the rigid neckline where I can peek at my baby while she is nursing.  However, because it is 100% cotton, baby can be very hot inside and my girl will be like in a sauna and the moment she finished nursing, her head is wet with sweat.  Since my girl has grown a bit, I find this cover is now too small for her.  She tend to pull a bit and kick a little and then I get expose a whole lot.

c) Bebe au Lait Muslin Nursing Cover

This is a premium nursing cover and I was wondering why the heck I didn't know about this when I first gave birth.  If you want a very good nursing cover, please don't buy the others.  Go and buy this straight.  It's not cheap, say RM180+, but this is like the BEST nursing cover that I have used so far.  The muslin material allows air to flow freely and so baby is not too hot while under the cover.  The cover is also very big and perfect for nursing toddlers.  The rigid neckline is perfect to see baby nursing.  The material is although sheer, but it is not transparent.  My breasts was well hidden though you can see the colour of the baby's clothes from the outside.  I was planning to end my breastfeeding journey when baby reaches 2 years old.  Now I only have 6 months to use this cover.  At first I was reluctant to buy since I only be using for 6 months.  But then we are planning a trip to China soon and I thought perhaps better to invest in a bigger cover.  

So, before you buy any nursing cover, please check out Muslin Nursing Cover.  Can be any brand.  Might be cheaper than this as well.  

4. Freemie 

Here's my honest review on Freemie.  It didn't work for me.  Initially I bought it to prepare my breastfeeding journey at work.  I thought it will be very convenient to pump while sitting at my desk.  I was using it like perhaps a month at work and then I ditched it.  I find that it doesn't empty the breasts well and if you are a low supply mom, this is not a good deal.  After using Freemie, I still need to hand express, so I find that it is taking me a lot of time.  One day, I was pumping at my desk and a head of department came to see me.  I wanted to stand up to greet her, but the tubes were pulling from the drawer where the pump was kept.  So I sat throughout and I felt so rude.  But out of all, I just find that it is not emptying my breasts well and in the end I didn't have enough for baby or I have to pump more times.  So that's like wasting more time.  If you want to try it out, perhaps you can rent it first (not sure where) or borrow from your friend to try first before you buy.  It's not cheap, like RM350+ when I bought.  So better you try first before you buy and see if it works for you.  Otherwise it is wasted.  Some people commented that it works very well for them.  So, not sure why it didn't work for me.

5. Breast pump

I used this pump and this alone.  I didn't try other pumps.  So I can't comment about the rest.  This is Lacte Duet Double Electric Breast Pump.  If you also buy the same pump or want to buy the same pump, I would suggest that you also buy the hard shields which you have to buy separately.  The soft shields that comes with the pump is detachable and so after many times of sterilizing, the connection between the shield and the bottle becomes loose and kept on falling down.  I have spilled quite an amount of milk through little accidents like this.  

However, the hard shield is non-detachable and so it is easier to deal with.  I was so fed up that the shield kept dropping on the floor, that I changed to the hard shield and never looked back.

I like this pump a lot as it is quiet and not too bulky.  Also, you can use a power bank to pump.  You can control the level of pump for each side which I never did and I just used default.  There is a timer to show you how long you have pumped.  Some people commented that there are a lot of parts to wash, which is true, but then I am so used to it by now.  Besides, my husband does all the washing and sterilizing.  

Nowadays there are so many more newer pumps, smaller and lighter and quieter.  Besides, if you are a working mom, you can purchase up to RM1,000 and it is deductible when it comes to personal income tax.  So, remember to keep your receipts.  Only from YA 2017 onwards.

6. Hands-free pumping bra
Personally I find pumping with a hands-free pumping bra can pump more effectively and empty the breast better.  Probably it's the positioning compared to when you hold with your hands.  By having the hands-free pumping bra, I can check my phone, eat, drink while pumping.

a) Fabulous Mom Hands Free Pumping Bra

I bought this as they were having sales.  But I haven't got the chance to get the hang of it.  I find it is a bit too tight and disturbs my pumping a bit.  So I only use once.

b) Eve Love Pumping Bustier

I used this for a year now and I find this is very useful, easy to wear and quite handy.  However, the polyester material will become loose over time and over stretches, so now it is a bit too loose for me.  This is also cheaper than any other hands free pumping bra.  Worth to check this out.  My advise is to buy a size smaller as the material stretches quite a bit.

7. Nursing clothes
I didn't buy nursing blouse or dress.  I find that I can wear regular clothes and still nurse in public with a cover.  I find that nursing wear are overpriced and hardly any in cotton.  A lot of them are polyester and designs are so limited.  Besides I don't understand why they put maternity and nursing clothing as one.  If you are pregnant, you can't really nurse because that will trigger contractions.  If you have given birth, you probably don't want to buy something so big that catered during pregnancy.  So, no idea about this.

However, I did buy a couple of nursing bras that are wire-free and so easy to nurse in it.  Though it doesn't give your breast a nice shape.  

I also bought a couple of sleep bra.  However, since I have never leaked, it was not useful for me.  I rather sleep without bra, easier for baby to access. 

8. Baby wearing and nursing
I haven't tried this yet but few weeks ago, I tested on my toddler.  Since our China trip is coming up pretty soon, I was thinking of ways to bring her out in the baby carrier and at the same time to nurse her while she is in it.  So far I find that it is workable although my husband said a lot of my skin can be seen and he disapproves it.  So, I still have not decided if I want to baby wear and nurse at the same time.  

9. Lactation consultant vs breastfeeding consultant
Nowadays you can find a lot of people who studies IBCLC and get themselves certified to be a lactation consultant.  Those without a certificate but would help out are called breastfeeding consultant.  And then these people will charge others for consultancy fees.  Good business.  However, if you want to go to a medical practitioner who is also a lactation consultant, I would suggest to see Dr Koe of Koe Child's Clinic.  She is a pediatrician and very kind and gave good advises on breastfeeding.  However, the queue to see her is very, very, very long.  So, if you want to go, please go early in the morning, say 7.30am and start queuing.  Her clinic opens at 8.30am for registration and doctor will come in only at 9.15am.  Sunway Medical Centre also now have a Breastfeeding Support Group.  

10. Drink lots of water
The only thing that helped me to increase my milk supply was drinking more water.  I have tried supplement, galactogogues, food, etc, etc and found that the best that worked for me was drinking more water.  However, I always forget to do this.  Also, I find eating more rice and food help to maintain the supply.  Dieting doesn't work.  So, you can imagine that I have put on a lot of weight due to breastfeeding contrary to some mothers who lose weight during breastfeeding.

Extra:
Here's some extra tips for you.  Breastfeeding is so much controlled by our mind actually.  When you are stressed or sad, the milk supply will decrease.  So, stay happy, be joyful, don't stress so much and you will be able to maintain a good supply.  Always have to tell yourself that you have milk and baby is drinking enough milk from you.  Talking is probably easier than getting it done but that's the whole truth about it.  There will be many people who are not supportive, like colleagues, bosses, family members, etc.  If you want to have a smooth breastfeeding journey, you have to listen with one ear and out the other.  Don't let these people affect your mood or change your mindset.  Breastfeeding is between you and your baby.  It's a special bond between mother and child.  

For those who are not sure if you want to breastfeed, let me just tell you this.  Have you done something that only happened once in a lifetime?  If your answer is no, then please take up breastfeeding as a challenge to yourself in this lifetime.  You can only breastfeed for a short period of time in your life (yeah some people breastfeed till 12 years of age, but I am talking generally), so this is like your once in a lifetime experience.  If you missed it, you won't be able to turn back time to do it (unless you do relactation or have another baby).  So, take up the challenges.  If you want the easy way out of your life, then go ahead and miss it.  Some people may judge, but heck, it's your life, your breast, your baby.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department