Hwayugi, anyone?

I was hooked.  

I have always enjoyed Journey To The West by TVB, especially the first one where Dicky Cheung was the Monkey King.  

The first Journey To The West movie I watched was the one acted by Stephen Chow.  It was soooo good!  The sequel was also amazing!  I craved for more actually.

The next one was a movie directed by Stephen Chow.  It was quite nice but something was lacking.  Maybe because Stephen Chow was not in it?  

The Chinese version of Journey To The West has always followed closely to the original story.  I mean the traditional setting, the relationship between Monk Xuanzang, his first disciple, Sun Wukong, second disciple, Zhu Baijie and third disciple, Sha Wujing.  And the story is mainly about how the 4 of them encountered the demons and monsters along the way.

So, when Hwayugi came along, I was taken by surprise!  Journey To The West in a modern setting with some slight twist to the story.  Who would have thought about creating romance between Tang Sangzang and Sun Wukong?  Only the Koreans can be so creative.  I also enjoyed the modern look, their clothes, their magic.  Like how they thought of putting the GGG on the wrist instead of on the forehead, so instead of tightening it around the head, it tightens around the heart.  

But the original story is still there.  Like the bromance between Ma Wang and Sun Wukong and how loyal is Sha Wujing to Sun Wukong.  Wish there was more interactions between PK and Sun Wukong though.  

Loyal Journey To The West fans may have a different opinion though.

Anyway, be forewarn though.  Some of the episodes have ghosts and these ghosts are a little scary.  Especially if watching alone at night in the dark.  The ghost on the ceiling scared me too much!  

I love the comedy and how they build the relationship of the characters.  Cha Seung-won is such a good actor.  And Lee Seung-gi too.

But now that it has ended, lots of those who watched asked, "Why?"

Beware spoilers ahead!

PK had such a sad ending.  When he was shown that photo and he said, 'Now he is the only one left', I felt so sad for him.

Open ending for SOG is also, hmmm, not great.  Like Goblin, uncertain.

I have so many more questions about the show after it ended.  Some doesn't tie the loose ends.  I was shedding tears when SM left SOG for the final time.  How I wish the ending was better than this.  Say let her be a deity or immortal so that she and SOG can live forever?  But no, writers decided like even deity like SOG need some pain in his life.  Maybe the writers are also in pain and can't let everyone move on in peace?

I have decided not to question anymore.  More headache only.  Moving on to better shows.  Hopefully I don't get another one that led me on for 18 episodes, only to be let down for the last 2 episodes.  Sigh.

Moving on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department