Making peace with my choices

So, it came to a point that in order to keep my sanity, I have decided to supplement with formula for 1 feeding, usually the last one before she sleeps at night.  Now, don't shoot me for doing so.  I have tried my best.  Ate all the herbs that I can.  Tried every booster out there.  Also ate lactation cookies.  But so far, nothing was able to increase my yield to be more than what she demands.

Motherlove More Milk Plus Special Blend has increased my yield slightly more.  And pumping more and more power pump has also increased a bit.  So now, I believe my supply has been established.  And it's a constant 1oz per hour.  Well, it was 1/2oz earlier, so I do think this is an achievement.

I pump today, feed tomorrow.  I get ready at least 5 bottles of 4oz each before I go to work the next day.  If I missed a pump, or like weekends too busy with the little one, then come Monday, I would have to suffer a little more.  I have to do power pump every morning and every lunch time.

I pumped 7 times a day.  So far, I always can't make the last pump as baby would be very fussy and want the boobs by then and me getting exhausted by the end of the day.  On week days, my schedule is 6am, 9am, 1pm, 5pm, 7pm, 9pm, 11pm.  Then she latches on throughout the night.  On weekends, I pumped every 2 hours and would try to do a power pump twice a day.

I tried pumping middle of the night but my yield was the lowest.  I yield better when I get enough of sleep.  

Anyway, I am happy now.  Baby is happy.  She still gets mostly breast milk still.  And she still suckle on my boobs.  So, I am happy.  I am glad I don't have mastitis.  Occasionally I would get a plugged duct if I don't clear my breast enough.  But baby is always there to help me.  Low supply is headache because I always worry if she get enough milk for the day when I am away.  But I read that over supply is also a headache.  

I would like to share the essential things that makes life as a breastfeeding mother so much easier.  Opinions may differ between people but these are my top choices.

Top on my list is this:


Eve Love Pumping Bustier.  I got this from Eve Love.  They are having a sale now.  I got this for RM69.90 and now the price is down to RM39.90.  Sigh, if only I bought it later.  But no regrets in buying this.  It is the most convenient piece of garment for pumping.  No need to buy expensive pumping bra.  When you need to pump, you just remove the flap of your nursing bra and wear this on top.  Then pump away.  I swear my yield is better with this compared to when I hold with my hands.  No idea why so.  I highly recommend this.  I wish I known this much earlier.  It give my hands more flexibility to hold baby and also pump.  Also when I am eating.  Very convenient.  A colleague only told me when I was already 3 months post partum.

Next is this one:


Autumnz Posh Nursing Cover cost RM63.50.  There are many more other nursing covers out there, but more expensive.  This is the cheapest that I can find.  It's 100% cotton and soft.  Baby love it very much and would sleep underneath as it shield her from the hot sun and also like her little sanctuary.  I love how much privacy it gave me.  I used it at the Klinik Kesihatan where it is crowded with people.  And baby was able to nurse inside calmly.  I bought mine from BabyTree shop though you can buy it from Autumnz.

Earlier I bought a nursing shawl.  She hates that.  Nursing shawl kinda stick to my body because of the material and it kinda keep touching baby's face.  So she really dislike the shawl.  The shawl is good for Freemie though.  No one noticed it when I wear my Freemie behind the shawl.

And the next one is this:

Lillebaby - Complete Airflow.  I bought mine from Lazada was it was slightly cheaper.  But you can get yours from Autumnz as well.  It cost RM428.

I was actually torn between getting a stroller or a baby carrier.  My sister gave me a ring sling, but I find that I still have to carry her despite her being in the sling as I feel very insecure about it.  A friend gave me a second hand stroller.  It's a very good brand but it's huge and bulky.  Baby also get a bit car sick from it (probably because I was pushing her round and round).  I was thinking to invest in a smaller stroller, one that can be easily foldaway and light.

After researching on the best baby carrier and reading the reviews, I decided to buy this one.  At first I can't decide between Lillebaby - Complete Organic or this one.  The organic one is made of 100% organic cotton.  But I read it's hotter.  This one is made of breathable mesh, so it's more airy.  Since baby is a hot one and always sweating, I thought this would be better, especially in our weather.  Organic one is slightly more expensive too.

I tried it for the first time that day with baby.  And she loves it.  She even slept in it and so peaceful was her sleep until I have to remove her from the carrier.  I like how it's so user friendly and have all the parts that are useful.  Like I like the head piece flap that supports her neck and head.  It's so good to use when she was asleep.  It shield her from the brightness as well.  She doesn't like it on when she is awake though because it cover her view.  Then it can be folded back.

I won't say this baby carrier is light as I haven't tried the others.  But it's good enough.  I did sweat a little wearing this, especially the pelvic support part.  Oh yeah, there's a pelvic support thing so you don't put all the weight on your shoulders.

I love carrying baby with this.  So much more convenient compared to the stroller as I can't squeeze into small, tight places with stroller but I can with this.  Also, I don't have to take the lift all the time but can use the escalator.  And I love to kiss baby's head when I wear this and love to see her smiling and making eye contact with others.  Also, able to show her things and now that she is at the time where her curiosity is building.

Next on my list to buy would be this:

Avent Thermal Bottle Warmer, RM139.90 now.  You can buy this online from Avent Store.  But you can also get from Aeon or wherever you can find Avent products.

For a pumping mom, I bring bottles of breast milk when we go out because I am still not confident in feeding her directly when we are out as we take hours on the boobs.  It's different if I have to wait for my turn and while waiting, I let her latch.  Or when someone is driving and I am at the back seat and stuck in a traffic jam, I just let her latch.  But if she is hungry, then I need to feed her fast.

Right now, what I am using is exactly how it looks like above, except it doesn't fit baby's Avent bottle.  I used a separate thermos and also another container for the hot water to be poured in.  It's not that convenient and lately I find the thermos is no longer hot.  So, baby drank cold milk that day and she was so fussy.  She likes her milk warm.

So, I am aiming to buy this one.  Probably will just buy it when I finish blogging.

These are the things that I think it's really worthy for the long run.  I have bought many things and some things are really not useful or probably only use once.  Like Freemie for example.  But that's just me.  Or things that baby doesn't like.  Her pacifier for example.  I bought so many brands.  Dislike means dislike.  Her choice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department