The system that works for me

Disclaimer: This post will be heavily product featured.  But I am not selling any of these items nor promoting these items.  I did not receive any money.  Just sharing what works for me on a day-to-day basis.

I am a person who live on a having a system and would replicate that to make my life easier.  Meaning I do things at the same time everyday or wear the same things or something like that.  I am not a super disciplined person but when it comes to a system that works, I need that to survive.

Being a new mother, my whole system broke down.  Everyday was an adventure and everyday there are surprises.  Not that I don't anticipate or hate it.  But because I need a system in order to arrange my life around it, I was feeling lack of direction and don't know where to head or where to go or what to do.  

After trial and error for almost 4 months now, I am happy to say that I have finally found a system that works.  It's so good that I can bring my baby out easily now, knowing that I can just keep to this system.

1. Nursing bras
Since I don't direct latch my baby during the day time, I don't wear nursing bras to work.  Instead, I wear Genie Bra.  I also find that my nipples are very obvious in nursing bras that I prefer something that is heavy padded but not too heavy so that I don't enhance my big boobs already.

So, Genie Bra is perfect.  Although I would prefer if they are cotton and not nylons.


There are stretchable and easy to wear.  No hooks nothing.  If want to breastfeed, it's also quite easy.  Just pull it up and done.  

For breastfeeding, I prefer to wear nursing bras that have that hook.  Makes it easier to open and close, especially when baby is fussy.  Genie bra is harder to pull up because of the strong elastic and if you have an impatient baby like mine, this is not good.

If direct latching, I would wear cotton nursing bras from Autumnz and Fabulous Mom.  They are super comfortable.  Just that my nipples would be protruding and can be seen if I wear a tight blouse.  

2. Diaper Backpack
Was using the diaper bag that was given free by Tupperware.  It's a tote bag and was able to fit everything.  But overtime, I wanted something easier.  So I got this diaper back pack from Lazada.

It's pretty and it has a lot of compartment.  This is also now my work bag.  It can fit my breast pump and parts and also a cooler bag.  And when bringing baby out, it can fit the Avent Thermal Bottle Warmer, baby bottle, baby diapers, baby clothes, cooler bag, nursing cover and so on.

3. Cooler bag
I got this cooler bag from Autumnz.


On a work day, I just pack this bag with a contour ice pack that fits perfectly and 3 bottles since I know each time I pumped, I won't exceed the bottle and I pump 3 times a day in the office.

Going out, I will also bring bottles of breast milk and store inside this cooler bag and keep inside the backpack.

4. Ice pack
I got this ice pack from Baby Tree.

It fits the Autumnz cooler bag perfectly.  And it can last very long.  Earlier, I was using the free ice pack given by Fabulous Mom, which is like gel type.  But it didn't last very long.  By the time I leave for home after work, the ice pack have melted.

5. Nursing cover
Earlier, I got this nursing cover first.

It works well when I used with Freemie.  No one realise that I was pumping behind this shawl.  I purposely chose shawl with a busy design so that it's not noticeable compared to a plain shawl.

However, baby dislike me using this when direct latching.  Because the material is not natural and it's hot when she is underneath and on top of that, she is a hot baby and sweats a lot, so I have to stop using this.  And on top of that, I stopped using Freemie.  What a waste right?  Oh well, can use as a normal shawl.

What works for us now is this nursing cover:
Also from Autumnz.  It's 100% cotton and baby is very comfortable underneath.  I haven't tried pumping with this though.

6. Feeding bottles
I prefer glass feeding bottles compared to plastic.  Sure they are easily breakable and DH did broke one already.  What I like is because breast milk is sweet and oily.  So, the bottles can be sticky and oily after each feed.  Glass bottles are easier to clean compared to plastic ones.  So I got this 4oz bottle.

I also got another Avent 8oz bottle which I have yet to use.  Since she is now taking 4oz, this bottle is sufficient for now.  Baby also can easily transfer from nipple to this bottle and back.

When pregnant, I bought a Dr Brown Glass Bottle but not using it because I prefer wide neck now.

7. Avent Thermal Bottle Warmer
Finally, I bought this because Avent Store has a discount.  It's so easy to use and no need to bring so many things out.  Just this one thing and can warm the milk efficiently.  If formula feeding, you just need the thermos.  No need the cup.

8. Baby carrier
As mentioned earlier, I bought the Lillebaby soft structured carrier and loving it.

It's very comfortable and baby likes it.  The success of making her sleep in it is also higher.

When at work
At work, I would bring the backpack and put my breastpump and parts in it.  Also a cooler bag with ice pack with 3 empty bottles.  For 8 hours, the milk can be kept cool until I go home and transfer to the fridge.

When going to the lactation room, I would just bring a recycle shopping bag with my breast pump in it and my parts and 1 bottle and go.  Easy.

After pumping, I keep the parts in a ziplock bag and keep in the fridge.  I only wash them when back home.  For ziplock bag, I preferred the one with the slide lock rather than the ones that you have to press to lock.

When going out
When going out with baby, I would pack the backpack with the cooler bag and icepack and bottles of breast milk (depends on how long I am out).  Usually, I don't go out more than 4 hours because I need to pump.  And I don't bring my pump out because it's a hassle to find a place to pump while caring for baby.

I would also bring the nursing cover, so in case she is cranky and wants to suckle, then I can offer her the boobs in private for some comfort.  This is usually when we are resting or sitting and waiting.

The Lillebaby carrier is also convenient to bring her out and about.  I haven't tried nursing with it but I read that it is doable.

So far we haven't gone to places that are very far.  Next will try to have dinner with her at some restaurant.  Let's see how that goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department