In search for the best travel stroller

Updated 6/9/17 : I have added another stroller!!!!
Updated 28/8/17 : I have added another stroller to the list.  Check it out!

Besides milk, stroller is something I have to buy before our trip.  All this while, we have never bought a stroller for her.  She has been using a cheap China lightweight umbrella stroller that cost less than RM100 that my parents bought at Mr DIY for my nephew.  It's been 3 years and it's still going strong.  

However, there are few things that I don't really like about the umbrella stroller.  It's long when folded and just barely fit into my Myvi, length wise.  When trying to fold, you must be careful with your fingers.  Many of us trying to fold it had injured our fingers as it got caught in between the metal bars.  The foot rest is broken.  The maneuverability is very, very poor and most of the time when I pushed baby in it, she will get jerks from the sudden push.  Very poor back support.

So at first, I was told that since I have to gate-check the stroller at the airport before we board the plane, and was advised to bring one stroller that can afford to take the manhandle by the airport staff, so I thought just bring this lousy stroller.  If it spoils, still doesn't hurt so badly as it is really cheap and I have the excuse to get a new one then.  But then, who wants to shop with baby in tow, in a new country?  

So, after much, much thought (I have seriously given this a lot of thought), I have decided to buy a new stroller that is lightweight and compact and fit into our lifestyle, that we can bring on the airplane (discreetly as I have asked Airasia and was told that we have to gate-check the stroller, whether compact or not, whether fit into the cabin or not) and LRT and MRT and trains and buses and so on as I foresee we will be taking lots of public transport when in China.

Like many websites of reviews of strollers that I have read, most of them would suggest the best stroller is depends on your wants and needs.  Since baby is more than 1.5 years old, I am not looking into strollers for newborn.  That means, whether can recline or not is not a big deal.  Besides, baby has never slept in the stroller.  She would rather sleep when I babywear her.   Most of the time, after she is bored in the stroller, she would want to come out and walk on her own.  So the stroller that I am looking for must be easy to bring about and when she doesn't want to sit on it, I can easily fold it and keep it instead of running after a baby and pushing a stroller at the same time.

Now, since we mostly use the stroller in a shopping mall here in Malaysia, I don't really need a stroller with a canopy.  But then since we will be out in the open in China, the sun might be too much and a canopy might be useful.  But then again, our trip to China is only 7 days.  So, the canopy is only useful for 7 days.  

I don't want a bulky stroller too, or something that is too expensive, or something that is not easy to open and close.  It must fit into my Myvi for longer use.  It must be lightweight so that we can carry it around if not using.  It must be compact, that can be fit into a bag.

I am not fussy about having a basket or a cup holder or mosquito net or rain cover or not.  But if it comes with a bag, it will be much better.

And most of the reviews website are not Malaysian and so may not be suitable for our weather.  The Westerners brings their stroller everywhere, for walk, for jogging, for hiking and they travel extensively too with a baby.  So, might be different from our needs.  Besides, most of the products reviewed by them are UK/US/European based.  None from China.  

Anyway, based on my research from Lazada (FYI, I am not paid by Lazada to do this, ok) and reviews by other mommies, these are the strollers that caught my eye.  Please take note that there are some local brands like Sweet Cherry, My Dear and China brand, Seebaby which also has umbrella strollers, but I didn't look into them extensively because they are not compact.  They are very reasonable priced though.

So my requirements are:
1. Lightweight
2. Easy to fold and unfold
3. Can fit into a bag and portable
4. Compact and small
5. Can bring on the airplane (discreetly)

By the way, Air Asia cabin baggage size is 56 x 36 x 25cm.  Looking at the comparison below, only GB Pockit + fits into the requirement.

I have done comparison for the 7 best light weight strollers that caught my interest.


7. Royal Kiddy London Air Transporter (Updated 6/9/17)
I have added another stroller.  Sigh.  I don't know why after my purchase of the GB Pockit + , suddenly so many stroller ads on my Facebook and I happened to see this.  In fact, I fell in love with this, although it didn't have the adjustable foot rest.  I love the material, the free gifts and the bag that came with it.  Best is the price at the Baby Expo was RM600.  But the price on Lazada was RM1,500.  Anyway, I have missed the Baby Expo and looking at the size, it didn't seem to fit into AirAsia Cabin requirement.  But I really love how easy this is and the added T bar for safety.

Can't find any reviews or any video on YouTube though.  So, here's the Facebook video if you are interested to find out more.


6. Looping Squizz
I asked my friend who is super rich and is going to have a third child soon, which stroller is best.  She recommended this one and said never regretted it.  I checked it out and found that the reviews are mostly Malaysians.  In fact, I can't find a single Westerner review on this stroller.  This stroller is from France.  When I saw the specs, immediately I said no to it because it looks very big.  There is no way this can fit into the cabin size.

Looking at the design and how it roll, it feels very good.  I love the foot rest (you will read about this in my GB Pockit+ review in another post).  If you are buying one for everyday use and don't mind the size, then it's ok.  My friend has a BMW, so no problem for her.  And the price is quite reasonable.  But it is not compact.



5. Mountain Buggy Nano
This caught my eye just today, so I didn't do extensive research and didn't read a lot about it.  Most of the Westerners love this because it's compact and light according to their standard.  However, after further reading, found that this stroller cannot be brought onto planes as it doesn't fit into the cabin.  Also, in order to fold and keep it in the bag, you need to dismantle 2 wheels.  Hmm...  Price wise, it is above RM1k, still within my budget though.  But, looking at the weight and the folded size, I don't think I would want to lug this with me.

It does have an adjustable leg rest, which would be a plus.  After folded, it still looked a bit bulky for me, since I am small-built.  So, no go for me.


4. Babyzen Yoyo 6+
This is a luxury stroller.  I read somewhere that even Kim Kardashian is using it?  But the price is too much for me.  Way over my budget.  However, I do love how compact it is and how small and lightweight it is without compromising on the canopy and wheels.  Quality wise it looks very sturdy with good maneuverability.  Though among the 5 strollers that I have researched, Babyzen Yoyo 6+ is the most heavy of them all.  


3. Louis Le Petit Lightweight Stroller
This stroller is only available on Lazada and sold by only Alpha Living.  It looks like from China and when I first saw the weight, I was intrigued.  However, after looking at the video (I watched it 3 times), I still find it big.  I love the material as it is natural and not like the polyester kind that will be hot.  Overall, this seems like a very good stroller for everyday use.  Besides, there were lots of good comments.  And looking at the price, this is probably something I would consider.  In fact, I was looking at this product over and over again.  I love how easily it is folded, with just 1 hand.


2. Vovo Compatto Stroller
I feel this is the China copy of the Babyzen Yoyo.  If you look at the photos and the specs, it looks very much the same as Yoyo.  Just the price is many times cheaper than Yoyo.  This is only available in Lazada and many good reviews about it.  I was also thinking about this but then I don't feel like getting a replica of a branded product.  I mean, imagine walking down the streets with this stroller, with the brand on the wheels and looks exactly like Yoyo, but named Vovo.  I don't know about you, but I feel weird about using fake products.  But putting that aside, this is probably a good product.


1. GB Pockit+ Stroller
OK.  I have set my mind on this.  Maybe not yet.  But I am pretty sure this is what I would want to buy.  It is compact.  It is lightweight.  It fits into a bag.  The newer version can recline.  Though many people reviewed about the cons being the small, useless canopy, I am not really bothered about it.  I wished the bag came with it because the price is not that cheap.  It's the price that makes me think twice and think thrice.  But looking at the reviews and the quality, this is probably one stroller that I will be using for a long, long time.  The best part is if we buy from Lazada, we can pay installment if we use Maybank credit card.  It is 0% interest.  For product RM500 and above, it is 6 months installment and for product RM1,000 and above, it is 12 months installment.  



I haven't swipe my card yet.  But I am planning to.  I have to buy these few days so that can try it out.  Probably is a good deal to buy in Lazada and pay by installment.  Sigh, I don't know.  I wish I can just decide on something like this.  The price is really...sigh....oh well.  If I buy it, then I will review about this stroller later.

I guess one reason that I hesitate, besides the price, is because of how we are going to keep it in a bag.  You know, China grounds are not that clean.  Spit everywhere.  So, each time if I want to keep this stroller, I have to touch the wheels and I have to wipe it clean first and so on.  So, I am really thinking again.  I probably ended up just bringing the lousy umbrella stroller.  Who knows!

Comments

  1. Hi, would like to know which stroller u buy at the end? :) Hehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine. I bought the GB Pockit in the end.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department