To wean or not to wean

Am seeking opinion from you mothers out there.  Not sure if I want to post on FB as I don't want the whole world to know my issue, so don't wanna post in TBAN and I am not exclusively pumping, so can't post in that Exclusively Pumping Group either.

So I have reach the stage where the decision to wean or not to wean has to be decided upon.  I have breastfed for 1.5 years now.  My goal is 2 years.  However, during the recent hospitalization and right after that I got sick for 2 whole weeks, my supply has tanked so much that I can only pump half oz each time.

In fact, because I was sick and exhausted and having major sleep deprivation due to looking after my girl and then when I fell ill, I was coughing so much that I can't sleep at night, so eventually, my supply suffered.

I only pumped once a day, that is during lunch time on a weekday.  At night, I will direct latch.  Nowadays my girl is drinking more fresh milk than breast milk.  I still haven't gotten back my period and am still enjoying the dry days.  On weekends, I will direct latch throughout.  My girl is eating more solid food now.

But now, I have some questions.

1. If I stop pumping altogether, will my supply suffer even more?  

2. My girl still wants to direct latch, especially when she is sleepy or at night or when she wants comfort.  Does that mean I will still have supply?  She latch mainly for comfort and not for hunger.

You see, we are going overseas in October.  And I was planning to let her latch on the plane so that she doesn't have ear problem.  And that we are going to latch all the way throughout the trip.  And since still no sign of my period as long as I am breastfeeding, it will make the trip so much easier.  But now if I stop pumping, will it change all my plans?

But at the same time, I am tired of pumping.  My husband is tired of washing and sterilizing the pump parts.  I don't have anymore supplies in the fridge.  

So back to the question, to wean or not to wean?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department