Tried and tested cooking keto : Spare Ribs Pork Curry


I woke up at 5am automatically today.  So, I decided to do a nice and long morning meditation.  After that it was almost 6am and I couldn't get back to sleep.  So I thought, why not I cook something easy for my keto lunch and dinner?  So I did just that and I woke up before everyone else and started defrosting, cutting and cooking.  My mom was surprised to see me so hard at work.

I adapted the recipe from My Natural Family.  However, since I did this on a whim, I couldn't find any chicken thighs in the fridge, instead I found pork spare ribs.  So I thought, hmm, maybe I can substitute chicken with pork instead?  I was getting a little tired of chicken anyway but pork means my mom won't eat since she is off-pork for many years now.  

I quickly defrosted the spare ribs and cut whatever vegetables I could find.  I found half of a large zucchini and used all of that instead.  My mom added some chinese cabbage leaves and leftover squid.

Here's my adaptation of the Spare Ribs Pork Curry.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp coconut oil
A packet of spare ribs - sorry, I really don't know how many grams that was.  Just a packet that was nicely wrapped from the butcher in the supermarket.
1 large onion cut into big chunks
1/2 zucchini - please use more than this as I only had this in my fridge.  You can also add brinjals and other vegetables, but I don't have any of these too.
About 5 chinese cabbage leaves cut small
1 tsp garlic
1 tbsp curry powder - I used the Babas brand.
1 tbsp chilli powder - If you want more spicy, then add more.
2 tsp Himalaya pink salt
1 small packet of coconut milk - Again, not sure how many mls is that.
1 cup tomatoes

Method:
1. Heat the oil in a wok and add the spare ribs and cook until change colour.  No need to cook until really cook.  Then remove from wok.  I think by doing this, there was no pork smell in the curry.  And I think the coconut oil really remove the smell.  I guess, I am not sure.

2. Fry the onion and zucchini with the remaining oil in the work until lightly browned.  Add garlic, curry powder, chilli powder, salt and cook for a few minutes.

3. Add the spare ribs back to the wok and continue cooking with the other ingredients and add coconut milk.  Let it boil.  

4. Continue cooking until the meat is soft and tender, about 30 minutes on low fire.  Let it simmer and then add tomatoes at the end.  Add salt to taste.

This dish is super delicious.  I didn't know pork curry can taste so good and surprisingly there wasn't any porky taste at all.  Probably because the curry powder was right or the coconut milk made it tastier, but this dish was really yummy!  You don't have to worry about not enough water as the vegetables and meat will ooze some juice on top of the santan you added.  If you think it's too dry or the sauce is too little, then add a bit of water, not too much or your pot of curry will be bland.  

I made this a less spicy so that the kids can also eat it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department