Breastfeeding woes

Lately, I have been getting plugged ducts and milk blisters.  Both are painful.  And I have no idea how it has suddenly appeared.

Milk Blister
Milk blister is more painful.  Feels like being stabbed from the inside.  If you don't know what is a milk blister, please ask Mr Google.  

I have tried few methods to remove it.  

First time it happened, I didn't do anything.  Baby successfully removed it.  It was on the left breast and it didn't happen anymore.

Second time on the right breast, I used my finger nails to break open the tiny skin that cover the duct.  Again success.  

Third time again right breast, I happened to cut my finger nails and was too short to pinch the tiny skin.  So I used a sterile needle.  I think I didn't do it correctly, ended up bruise and more painful. The milk blister did go away.  But I don't recommend this method to do at home.  Better go to a professional, i.e lactation consultant.  

Then 2 weeks ago, it happened again.  Same right breast.  The lazy breast.  This time I happened to visit baby's paed, Dr Koe who is also a lactation consultant and she helped me to prick it.  Success.  Unfortunately, I should have let baby latch or pump immediately.  But I waited too long and a new skin grew over it.

Then this week, since I happened to go to Dr Koe again, I asked her to remove it for me again.  The same one.  But she said she can see milk coming out from the duct and told me no need to prick.  Just use a wash cloth to clean it while in the shower.  Since it wasn't as painful as before, I just did as Dr Koe told.

But it didn't go away.  Instead, it got bigger.  That means the skin area has grew wider more milk are trapped behind it.  And it has gotten more painful.  I let baby latched but still can't get it out.  So, while in the hot shower this morning, I used my finger nails again.  Managed to pinched 2 holes.  But still can see the white spot.

So, I followed one of the advice given on some blogs about putting olive oil on the cotton pad and cover the nipple while wearing a bra.  This is to make the skin softer so that can be easily remove before pumping or nursing.  Before I pumped, I used my finger nail again to make the hole bigger.  Immediately lots of milk continuously came out.  Phew, finally it's done.  But it's still not complete.  I can still see white spot, smaller now.

Plugged Ducts
As a low supply mom, it's miraculous to have plugged ducts.  But since I have it, sometimes I wonder if I am a low supply mom or just that I don't empty my breast good enough.

This happened also recently for the first time.  Baby slept for many hours at night and I didn't latch.  The next morning, can feel lumps in few areas on the left breast, the active breast.  But I managed to pump and release the milk.  

Then it happened again.  No idea how because it happened while I was working and I was pumping on schedule.  I tried to massage and push it out while pumping but no can do.  Instead, it feels bruise from the massage and pushing because I was doing it quite hard.  

Only baby manage to clear it out through her sucking.  

And it happened one more time.  Same thing cannot be removed during pumping and only baby can do it while I was home.


So left breast with plugged ducts and right breast with milk blister.  Welcome to the world of breastfeeding.

Because of the pain, I feel so fed up of breastfeeding.  While I enjoy it very much, not the pumping though, I like the latching, my mood went down because of the pain.  And then I felt so tired with 2 boobs in pain.

And I have no idea why it is recurring again and again.  I pumped on schedule.  I let baby latch when at home.  But it still happened.

My suspect is that my breast shield size is not suitable for my breast.  Somehow I find the Lacte Duet Hard Shield which come in only 1 size is too big for my nipples.  Also, earlier I was doing breast compression while pumping to squeeze out every single drop of milk but I was lazy and stopped doing.

Oh well, I hope no more milk blisters and no more plugged ducts please.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department