Craving for (.)(.)

The title sound so sexual but it's not.  This happened yesterday.  I came home from work and found baby fast asleep.  Husband also came back and already had dinner.  My parents and I have to go somewhere to do some stuff and we can't bring baby along.  So, told husband to stay at home with baby.

Before we left, husband had dinner and shower, so that he can be ready when baby wakes up.  After dinner, I went for a quick pump.  When I came downstairs, baby is already awake and is already nicely fed, bathed and changed into her PJs.

I quickly gave her kisses on her cheeks and forehead and promised her that I will come back soon and let her suckle.  Then we left.

About 2 hours later, we were back home.  Baby is cranky and has been crying, reported by husband.   She hasn't slept since we left.  Baby gave me one look and started screaming.  My parents took turns to calm her down while I quickly go and grab something to drink.  No can do.  Baby still screams.  They ruled out hunger as she was just fed 2 hours ago.  She usually eats in 4 hours.  And if we force her to drink more milk, she would use her tongue to push out the teats or would pretend like she is choking.  They ruled out sleepiness as well as they tried putting her into her cot and she screamed even louder.

Then baby is back in husband's arms, still crying.  Since I haven't shower yet, I refuse to carry her.  She kept giving me side glances and screaming into husband's ears.  Husband got tired.

Me: Try to do this, that to calm her down and see how.  (I keep on giving instructions to him).
H:  Already tried this and that, still cannot.
Me:  I haven't shower yet lah.  Please wait ok.
H:  You lah, promised her to let her suckle and now don't want to give.
Me: When did I promise her that?
H:  Just now lah, before you left.  Now don't want to give.  Sure cry lah.

I laughed to myself.  It's very fulfilling to see baby needs her mommy so much and even crave for boobs.  At the same time, it's funny to see husband speaking on behalf of baby.

Baby knows when mommy is away, she has to stick to the bottle for milk.  If mommy is around, she will look for boobs.  And sometimes, it's not even about satisfying her hunger, but more to satisfying her addiction.  You know like a drug.  Her hands would shake if the boob falls out from her mouth, you know like those asking for help kind of shake.  And once she suckle for as short as 10 minutes, then she is satisfied.

I am glad, despite having just enough supply for her, that she will wants it no matter what.  And she knows that from 8pm onwards, no one can give her a bottle unless and until she has the boobs.

It's so cute to see that.

On another note, I just realised that I may not be a low supply mom.  Of course, if I need to keep stock for her while I am away, I have to say in the beginning, to keep that stock, I have to supplement with formula because I wasn't able to keep extra for her.  But once I got that stock rolling, then it's comfortable.  I just need to make sure she has at least 5 bottles of 4 oz everyday while I am at work.

Back home at night, I was so worried that if I direct latch her, she may feel hungry all the time.  Then I realised, that because my flow is slow and if baby is patient, she would suckle for hours.  No wonder baby stuck to me all the time if direct latching.  And since I can pump like 1 oz every hour, she drink more frequently when direct latch.  Compared to the bottle that she would take every 4 -5 hours and when she had enough, she would use her tongue to push it out.

While I am not oversupply nor undersupply, I think I am called a just-enougher.  Recently, she fell ill and wasn't having much appetite.  So, now we have extra stock that can roll for 2 days.

Another thing that I realised is the longer hours I drag the pumping session, the more milk I yield.  I was thinking perhaps if I only produce 1 oz per hour, then if I drag to 4 hours, then I get 4 oz.  So that means, I don't need to pump 2 hours and get that miserable 2 oz.  I also get more time to rest and do other things while still yield the same.

Earlier I was worried that my supply would reduce if I drop pump.  But it doesn't seem to be so.  And I also realised that if I don't pump for more than 4 hours, my boobs would harden with knots here and there.  But when I pump to release it, the yield is always more.  Sometimes more than the 1 oz/hour.

I don't think too much about this nowadays.  Just pump and if I can't pump, then I drag the hours and pump later.  Amount still the same.

Happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department