Roseola

I am so relieved to find out that what my daughter contracted was just Roseola.  In case you don't know what it is, please read it up here, here and here.

Though the age mentioned in these articles varies, some said below 2, some said below 3, what I can say is, my girl is 27 months old and she contracted it now only.

I have known about Roseola and was preparing for it, in case it happened to my girl.  My cousin who have 5 kids told me all her kids have it before 1 and when my girl past 1 years old and still no sign of it, I thought she would not have it at all.

But when it really happened, I was so lost because it happened too quickly.  

First the high fever happened too fast.  On Thursday, she was still in good mood and fever was there but not high.  By Friday, suddenly her fever spiked and she got febrile seizures, which is quite common for children who contracted Roseola.  Still till then I didn't know it was Roseola.  Neither did the paed and she gave my girl antibiotics.

After 3 days of high fever, the fever suddenly broke on Monday and it became low grade fever.  By the time the fever broke completely, rashes appeared on her neck and a bit on her chest.  

On Tuesday, rashes were all over her chest and back and neck and went to the face as well.  Her eye lids were swollen too.

These are the signs of Roseola.

Since this is my first time handling Roseola, I was totally clueless.  So, if your child suddenly have high fever and the fever is high for 3 days, it might be Roseola.

Roseola is different from measles.  Roseola rash only appear after the fever have completely gone while measles rash will be there together with the high fever.  Anyway, she already took MMR, so should not have measles.

Just like measles, chicken pox and other viral infection, Roseola is highly contagious when fever is still there.  But the moment the rash appear, they are no longer contagious.

The Roseola rash is not itchy and doesn't affect the child, unlike chicken pox.

And once they have it, they will be immune to it for life, just like chicken pox.

I can't remember if I had it as a child, so I wasn't sure what it was.  But I can remember having chicken pox at 12 years old and was out of school for 3 weeks.  So I am very familiar with chicken pox.

There is no vaccine for Roseola.  Just need to wait it out.

Next to look out for is chicken pox.  Though she already got the jab, it will still come.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department