My struggles to breastfeeding

I have created a label just for breastfeeding.  Today, I would like to share my breastfeeding obstacles and struggles.  

While pregnant, I have always wanted to breastfeed.  I have to admit, I thought breastfeeding would be easy.  I thought that since God gave me a pair of big boobs, it would be easy to breastfeed.  But I also had my worries since I had surgery done on my breast before to remove a fibroadenoma cyst.  I read about latching.  I read about how good the milk is to our baby.  I read a lot.

But in the end, it's the practice and not theory that make it works.  

It's been 2 months since I started breastfeeding and it wasn't a journey filled with roses and perfume and rainbow.  It was really difficult.  I am sure I am repeating myself when I say this again.  Basically, the conclusion is that it's a circle of life.  Everything is inter-connected.  Let me just start from the beginning again.

1. Birth
a) Skin-to-skin
I mentioned earlier, I didn't have skin-to-skin with my daughter.  Nope, no bare skin against each other.  She was wrapped in a towel, while I was in the hospital gown.  I only carried her, not skin-to-skin.  Missing this point was a big negative on my supply.  I didn't know until much later.  Something about skin-to-skin help to promote prolactin or something like that.

Causes - Low milk supply

b) Induce labour
Induce labour means the ObGyn pumped me up with artificial hormones to that my uterus start contracting and my cervix to dilate.   And because of this my body was filled with oxytocin and my own body doesn't generate enough oxytocin to promote let-down reflex.  Truth to be told, I have never felt leaking while breastfeeding or pumping.

Causes - No let-down reflex

c) Epidural
I used epidural during labour although I wasn't planning to.  After 30 over hours of labour, I didn't think I could withstand another contraction.  I read that it also interferes with the release of natural oxytocin.  Read here.

Causes - No let-down reflex

d) Heavy bleeding
I had heavy bleeding right after delivery.  This may have cause me to have anemia.  Anemia can cause insufficient milk supply.  Read here.

Causes - Low milk supply

2. Early bottle feeding
a) Nipple confusion
Because of the difficult labour, I gave permission to the nurses to bottle feed with formula so that I could rest.  I was really tired and was in a mess.  For the first week, baby had nipple confusion.  She refused to latch on me and would cry murder every time I tried to breastfeed her.

I didn't prepare any bottles at home, thinking I could breastfeed her successfully.  So, I used preloved bottle that my nephew used last time.  Although still for newborn, I didn't prepare for the circumstances that arise later.

I thought I would be able to switch baby between breast and bottle.  Because I was so tired, I made that decision.  In the end, I was struggling so much trying to get her to latch again.  Finally, I consulted a breast consultant on Facebook and then met her personally to solve my problem.

Causes - Baby refuses to latch

b) Supplementing
We also supplemented with formula in the beginning because my milk hasn't kick in and baby was crying all the time.  Because of this, it messes with my own supply.

Causes - Low milk supply

3. Poor weight gain
Once we had No.2 problem solved, I decided to go 100% breastfeeding again.  Who would have thought we would hit problem No.3?  Found that baby only gain 0.02kg from birth weight after 1 month.  That's really a bad sign.  Was told to supplement again.

4. Nibbling and not sucking
We found what causes Problem No.3.  It was because she was nibbling my nipples and not sucking them though the latch was perfect.  Baby was only treating my nipples like a pacifier.  My milk didn't flow to her and she was starving and constantly hungry.

5. Inguinal hernia
While this wasn't one of the breastfeeding obstacles, I was told to fatten her up before her surgery.  Since my milk supply was hitting a big low, we have no choice but to continue with formula supplementation until she is fatten up before her surgery.

6. PCOS
Who would have thought that PCOS not only causes fertility problem but also breastfeeding?

So what now?
a) Lactation Aid
Because she was having nipple confusion earlier and then although that was solved using lactation aid, she wasn't sucking properly.  Again have to use lactation aid for the second time so that she will suck properly.  In the end, she was sucking properly and I could hear swallowing sound.

b) Letting-down reflex
Because of induce labour and epidural, I do believe that causes me to have no to slow let-down reflex.  It sucks big time because each nursing session is so darn long.  Almost 1 hour per boob.  Finally once the nibbling problem was solved, I could hear swallowing sound.  But it was like 10-15 minutes from the start of nursing.  Still slow.

c) Low milk supply
Because of all the problems above, I began to have low milk supply.  I tried to pump as much as I can, when I can, but still can't boost up my supply.

At each pumping session, I could only get like 2oz max.  On a good day, 3oz, both breast, 30 minutes pump.  And she is drinking 3oz per feed.

Solution
1. What's past is past.  Although I wish there was a reset button that can turn back time.  Moving on, I decided to try everything that I can to increase my milk supply.

a) Fenugreek
I bought fenugreek powder before birth.  I didn't know that fenugreek powder doesn't mix with water and becomes lumpy.  I ate this after birth to promote supply, but sadly it didn't help me.  I also took fenugreek tablet, 3 tablets, 3 times a day.  Also no improvement.  And I was already smelling like maple syrup.

b) Direct latch
I tried to direct latch for as long as I could.  But because she was nibbling the whole time and hardly let go of my nipples, I hardly got time to do any personal things.  I do let her latch but at the same time I am so tired.  Even now, I let her latch at night while I sit and sleep.  I don't see increase in my milk still.

c) Power pumping
Now I am power pumping like 3 times a day while in office.  It's crazy but when I am using Freemie, I don't really realise how fast time passed.  But still, I don't see increase.

d) Domperidone
I was given this to promote milk supply.  Sadly, it didn't work.  I am still on it.  3 tablets, 3 times a day.  But still I don't see any improvement.

e) Motherlove More Milk Plus
I heard good reviews about this herb and decided to buy it.  Now waiting for it to arrive so that I can try it out soon.  Hopefully, this can help me.

f) Nursing tea
I tried Neuner's Nursing Tea.  But unfortunately, it also didn't increase my supply.

I am truly at wit's end on how to increase my supply.  I am still supplementing but with donor's milk now instead of formula but it's running low.  Each day at work, I pumped like 3 times (max 4) and I get like 6oz only.  That's only 2 feedings.

I just need to increase to 4oz per session.  Finger crossing that Motherlove More Milk Plus would help.

Honestly, while I don't want to be oversupply, I just want to be enough for feed baby.  I would love to see my milk spray on her face, which I never seen so far.  I would love to hear the endless swallowing sound.  I would love to see her milk drunk and release my nipples automatically, which also I don't see.  I would love to be able to nurse her in public, like while shopping, but right now I don't dare as each nursing session is like 1 hour minimum.

Please, please, please let it work.

By the way, if you are staying in Klang Valley and would love to visit a good paeditrician, please see Dr Koe at OUG.  She is also a certified lactation consultant and promote breastfeeding.

Koe Child Clinic
73, Jalan Mega Mendung
58200 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-7983 0539

From 1st January 2016, her clinic hours is from 9am-1pm from Monday to Saturday.  She no longer has night clinic.

It's always pack and it's first-come-first-serve basis.  Dr Koe is extremely patient, an elderly doctor with a vast of experience and really kind and loving to children.  Her charges are also reasonable and much cheaper than in the hospital.  I have only good things to say about Dr Koe.  I like how she has helped me with breastfeeding.

And, if you don't know what your child should be when he/she grows up, try getting him/her to be a paeditrician cum lactation consultant.  Because it's really difficult to find a paeditrician who understands breastfeeding.  And in KL only she alone has both.  So, it's really a good career.  High demand nowadays, especially when breastfeeding is highly promoted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department