So water was my booster!!!

After struggling for 2 months to breastfeed, I finally narrowed down the possible problems and found my possible solution.

I have been hearing and reading about drinking 3L of water when we are breastfeeding.  I always thought to myself that I am drinking enough water already.  But to be honest, I am just lying to myself.

For the longest time ever, possibly from childhood, I never really drink a lot of water.  Sometimes, I think I don't drink enough though I don't feel dehydrated.  Sometimes at work, if I am too busy, I can even forget to drink water until I have reached the point of extreme thirst.

When I was pregnant, I drank a lot of water and this is true.  Somehow, I was feeling extraordinary thirsty, though I don't have gestational diabetes.  

Then after birth, I was back to normal.  During confinement, my husband and mom forbade me to drink plain water.  I can only drink red dates water and must drink it hot, not cold.  Tell me.  Who in the right mind would drink a boiling hot red dates water?  Must cool down first right, no matter what?  But no, they don't allow me to put in my cup.  Must drink from thermos.  That was really a difficult month.  I think that's why my milk supply was so low.  

Then I started searching for milk booster, supplement, herbs and food to up my supply.  Unfortunately, no matter what I did, I can't seem to boost my supply.  It's always been constant minimum 0.5oz to 2oz max.  

I tried a lot of food that other mommies said worked for them.  I made myself Horlicks for tea time.  My mom would pack for me oats with red dates and goji berries for breakfast.  I bought super expensive lactation cookies, costing RM4 per cookie.  My mom also would make young papaya with white fungus dessert.  I drank lots of red dates water.  I tried Chatime which only boost 1 session.  Tried durian as well.

I also tried many herbs.  I tried fenugreek powder and found it so hard to swallow because it doesn't dissolve in water.  I ended up puking it out because the taste was not great.  Then I tried fenugreek tablets.  Then I tried soaking fenugreek seeds in water and drinking the water, twice a day.  I also heard cumin seeds is good and boil cumin seeds in water and drank the water.  I also tried herbal nursing tea as well.

As for supplements, I was prescribed with domperidone.  Then I also took Motherlove supplement.  I also ate Shatavari.  

Finally, I decided that it's time to try drinking a lot of water.  More than my usual.  And not to thirst because to me to thirst means extreme dehydration.  I guess I am too immune to drinking less water.  My body seems to know that is enough.

And it worked!  And it has been constant so I do believe this is my booster.  But I will know for sure when I try this out for the rest of this week.  I was so pleased to see that I manage to get 4oz from the first session at work and then 3oz for the second.  Usually, it's either 2oz max or 1.5oz the most.

Finger crossed that this is my permanent solution and that my body finally is hydrated enough to produce more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department