Lactose intolerant

I am lactose intolerant.  For a long time, I didn't know why I was having diarrhea after drinking certain milk until when I was in secondary school and found the reason was lactose intolerant.

I was so proud of it when I was in school because this word sounded so bombastic and I kept on bragging to my friends that I have this condition called lactose intolerant.  And I like the look on their face as they have no idea what it was and it sounded like something very serious.

Anyway, I am not proud of it at all.  I love milk.  But I can't drink some kinds of milk.  If I did, I will have a bad case of diarrhea that looks like from food poisoning.  I avoid Nestle brand like crazy, especially milk powder from Nestle.  One time, I bought Nestle milk powder.  I think it was Nespray.  Can't remember which type, but definitely Nestle.  And I don't remember why I bought it in the first place as I don't drink milk powder.  I think someone told me to take milk powder for calcium.  Like add it into Milo.  So, I tried only once.  And that was it.

Initially, I thought it was something I ate.  Then I took it again the next time and again boom!  So, I stopped completely and told myself never, ever to buy this again.

I preferred to drink fresh milk or those in the carton.  And I have a love-hate relationship with Dutch Lady packet milk.  If I haven't had it for a long time and then drink it again for the first time, I will have diarrhea.  But once I have started, then the next time my stomach kinda understands and no more diarrhea from then on.  Until I stopped for a long time and restart again.

All these years, it has been trial and error for me.  When I was pregnant, I was told by friends to take Annum but I was very wary that I might get lactose intolerant.  Thank goodness, my gynae didn't encourage me to take too much milk as worried baby would be too big for delivery.  

The milk that I have taken and ok and love it so far is Marigold HL.  I know, some people said they are many weird ingredients in it and it is not fresh milk per se, but so far it is the best for me.  Because they have a low lactose content in it.  And I love the taste as well.

In fact, I found that it is also my milk booster.  So, I kept on drinking it.  I couldn't drink it when I was pregnant because it is low fat and it is not advisable to drink low fat during pregnancy (not sure why).  So now I am drinking it like nobody's business.

Recently, due to the Raya holidays, the supermarket were out of stock for Marigold HL.  So, I went and purchase Farmhouse fresh milk, made in Australia.  I took it the first time and it was ok.  And this time, I took it the first day and I was ok.  But the next day, I was greedy.  I drank the whole pack all at once and goodness, I was down with bad case of diarrhea and stomach aches.  The effects were so bad that I am still having weird stomach pains after 2 days.  Another brand to avoid.

I have also tried Farm Fresh milk but no can do.

So, am gonna just stick to HL for now.  No more trial and error for a long, long time to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department