Baby's first solid food

I was adamant to start solid food only when she reaches 6 months old, as recommended by the paed and also in some mommy group.  My sister was pestering me to start when she was 4 months old because that's when my nephew started.  I said no, stubbornly.  Insist to start only at 6 months.

Then I read in Kelly's Mom about solid food, to look for signs if she is ready.  

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

  • Baby can sit up well without support.
  • Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
  • Baby is ready and willing to chew.
  • Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
  • Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
And I saw all the signs.  I knew I cannot delay it any longer.

1. Baby was able to sit up well without support.  Earlier, she was sitting on the Bumbo.  But when we placed her on the floor, she can sit up, though not that stable.  Sometimes she likes to sit up to nurse while I am lying down.  

2. Not sure if baby lost her tongue-thrust reflex.  Only know when we tried solid.

3. Not sure if baby is ready and willing to chew until we tried solid.

4. Yes, baby has sharp pincer and pinching my neck and my boobs and all that.  She has started picking things up and grabbing things nicely.  

5. She is so ever ready and eager to participate in mealtime.  

So, we met with some friends over the weekend for dinner.  One Indian friend ate with her hands.  When she was done and washed her hands, she move her hands towards baby.  I was carrying baby.  And baby grabbed my friend's finger and shove it into her mouth and started sucking.  She could smell the food smell on the fingers.  That was it.

So, on 17 July 2016, just short of 1 week to 6 months, was the official date of starting solid food.  We started with avocado mixed with breast milk.  Only like 1 tablespoon.  She was so excited that she kept holding the spoon and refused to let go of it.  

She wallop it up as if she has never eaten before (ok, it was her very first time to eat).  So, here we go on this messy journey.

My friends kept on urging me to give her solid food.  My reasoning was this.  Once she start solid, she will be on it forever.  But breastmilk will only stop when it's time to wean.  So, I was reluctant to wean her, knowing that my supply is already low.  I was afraid that once she starts solid, she will have no interest of my boobs.  

I have started taking moringa powder.  Heard that it will increase breast milk.  I know it sounds crazy that I am only going to increase breast milk at 6 months, but I really don't want my supply to tank because of solid food.  Arrrghh...I don't want to give up breastfeeding.  Coz I love it so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department