Credit Card users - Please beware of this new feature!

Last month, I shared this incident on Whatsapp with my friends and family.  This month it is being featured in The Star and World of Buzz.  Since the writer didn't know that the story came from me, so my name was not mentioned.  I am amazed at the power of social media.  How far and wide it went!

My itchy fingers decided to read what the comments for these articles were like and guess what, I regretted reading them.  Some said the story is a hoax, some said I was stupid not to check the credit card bill.  Yeah, I know trolls and keyboard warriors are a plenty.  My intention was just to raise awareness on this issue which many are not aware of.

It's ok if people want to jump to conclusion without looking at the whole picture.  Honestly, my Whatsapp message was also limited because I wanted to write everything in one (1) message, together with the picture.  So I didn't tell the full, complete story.  

So, I am sharing the full story here and please be mindful.  Yes, I admit I was careless and didn't check.  But I am pretty sure I am not the only careless person here.

So, last month we went to ate at a restaurant at Sunway Velocity.  When I went to pay, I just key-in the 6 digit PIN number which start with 0097** and pressed the green button.  I didn't see the screen as I was looking at the keyboard when keying in.  Then passed back to the cashier and she looked at it and said need to key-in the PIN again.  I did the same thing and pressed the green button.

Our bill was RM87.45.  When the credit card machine printed the receipt, it was RM185+.  We were shocked as it seems double of the bill.  So I asked the cashier how come like this and she doesn't know either.


Turns out on the new credit card machine, there is this feature before the payment screen is a tipping screen.  So, I have accidentally key-in my 6 digit PIN number as amount to tip.  Someone asked how come 6 digit number become double of my bill.  Here's how.

The first 2 digits were zero, therefore, it only captured the last 4 digits, which is RM97.XX.  

In order to bypass this screen, you just need to press the green button without keying in any number.  The cashier should be aware of this but she wasn't.  Neither was I.

But I guess if your PIN number starts with 9*****, then it would come out as thousands and you will probably be aware of this huge amount before pressing the green button.  

So, to say I am stupid?  Up to you how you want to look at it.  It can happen to anyone, especially senior citizens who have poor eyesight.

Then I found out it also happened to another person.  


This time it was the cashier's fault.  Apparently she/he key-ed in the total amount to be paid at the Tipping Screen and also the Payment Screen.  So, the customer got charged twice.

Whatever it is, tipping is not our Malaysian culture.  So, many would not even think this screen exist but it does exist!

Restaurants owners should be responsible to inform their staff of this new feature.  Otherwise, it would look as if the restaurants are cheating their customers and ripping them off.  No wait, banks should inform the restaurants of this new feature.  Someone needs to be aware of this!!!

This is a for public awareness only.  Up to you whether you want to share or not.  But it did happened to me.  

Lesson learned : Always, always look at the screen and only key-in the PIN number that says key-in PIN number.  And always, always check the credit card receipt to see if the amount tie to the bill.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department