Tips to travel with a 20 month old to China

We just came back from China.  We flew with AirAsia and my girl was the youngest on the flight, both ways.  I am happy to announce that she was in her best behaviour throughout the flight, both ways and the other passengers were happy as well.

First of, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the 2 lady passengers on our flight, AK108 and AK116.  The lady on AK108 is a PRC while the one on AK116 is a Malaysian.  To the lady on seat 18A on AK108, I apologised for taking your window seat.  I was not aware that I took your seat and I am normally not this careless.  Thank you for offering the seat to me and you took another seat behind, sitting next to your friend.  I really appreciate this kind gesture.  That leaves us with a whole row to our family, with my girl having a seat although we didn't pay for it.  So, I am simply thankful.

As to the lady on seat 16C on AK116, I didn't take your seat, phew.  I got the window seat this time.  I appreciate your gesture to move to another empty seat in front of you so that leaves us with the whole row by ourselves and I really appreciate the extra space.

OK, now back to the tips to travel with a 20 month old to China.

Stroller or Baby-Carrier
First, it depends where you are going and what you plan to do.  If you plan to do hiking and walking up mountains to see scenic touristy places, then a stroller is definitely a no-no.  Then again, who would want to hike with a 20 month old.  I know some Mat Salleh does.  They baby-wore the baby and went up the Great Wall of China.  

If you are just going from one shopping mall to another, then stroller is better.  But the shopping mall that I went was in a small town and the lift was so difficult to find as there was no sign posting.  Besides, everyone would want to take the lift, whether able or not, whether with stroller or not.  So, yeah.  

As for me, I do find baby-wearing while going to places was the easiest as we took the bus and it was not stroller friendly.  Although the GB Pockit was easily foldable and handy and portable, the folding part took some time because I don't know, certain places were stuck.  Also, the small town that I visited has a lot of curbs and the side walks were parked with motorcycles and bicycles, so most of the time, I have to push the stroller on the road and the cars and motorcycles on the road are not so law abiding.  So it was kinda dangerous and risky.  The stroller was most useful when we were at the airport.  That also was before we went to the x-ray machine and after the x-ray machine.  Because at the x-ray machine, we have to fold it up to put it through.  So baby was in and out of stroller and was getting frustrated.

We did spend a long time in a bookstore and baby had a comfortable time sleeping in the stroller while we were looking for books.  Occasionally she moved a bit because of the loud noises.  I don't understand why everyone have to talk at the top of their pitch.  Even for the kids.  Remember to put a clip-on fan (it really depends which season you are going but right now in Foshan, where we went, the temperature was 30C, everyday).

We also went to this mini petting zoo, which is located at the rooftop of a building.  And the lift only go up to 4th floor, while the rooftop was at 7th floor.  Again not stroller-friendly.  And even inside the petting zoo was not stroller friendly.  Lots of stairs, up and down.  Better just let baby walk around instead.

In my honest opinion, I find baby-wearing while in China is the most useful and easiest to handle.  I brought the stroller and the Lillebaby soft-structured carrier, and I find I used the baby-carrier more.  Also, I feel more secure with the baby-carrier compared to the stroller.  Because in the stroller, anyone can push so I was worried in the crowd when I lose sight of my girl and suddenly the stroller is missing, you know that kind of worries.  So when with stroller, I make sure I have both hands on the stroller even when looking at things.  But with the baby carrier, both hands are free, baby is secured and so no worries.

The cons were because of the hot weather, baby was sweating a lot and you can't put a clip-on fan on the baby-carrier.  Also the mommy sweats non-stop, so baby also feeling very hot.  And she didn't really sleep in the baby-carrier because it was hot but she enjoyed mommy's closeness to her.

I will be doing a full review on the GB Pockit stroller soon.  

Food wise
If your baby is already used to Chinese food, like mine, then it is not a problem.  In Foshan or Guangzhou, the food taste is very similar to our taste here in KL.  Porridge, rice, noodles, dishes were similar.  So no problem adapting.  However, bear in mind, chicken dishes are quite rare.  Most of the time either pork or beef.  Sometimes you get fish.

As for milk, I brought along some small packets of Dutch Lady Milky, although it is recombined milk.  The reason why I changed my mind from bringing a big packet of UHT was because I was worried if I keep it in the fridge in my in-law's house, the other kids will drink directly from the packet.  So, I brought smaller packets to give some to the kids.  

But don't worry if you run out of milk.  I managed to find Pura Pure Milk from Australia in one of the supermarket.  I can't even find this milk in Malaysia but found it in China.  In one of the shop that sells lots of imported products, I even found Karihome Goat Milk Powder.

I know there was a lot of food scare especially coming from China.  But when I was there, I don't have this fear compared to when I was here.  All the food looked genuine and taste real.  Just make sure you eat food that the locals eat.  Like my mom-in-law goes to the morning market to buy vegetables and cooked at home.  Just eat real food and not package food.  I guess that's a safe bet.  I did buy some biscuits for baby and some bread and buns too.  So far so good.

Luggage allowance
Since I took AirAsia Premium Flex, I got 20kg of luggage allowance each.  So together we have 40kg.  40kg is just right for all of us, both ways.  We went with mooncakes and dodol and dried durian and came back with peanuts and fresh chinese red dates (jujube) which is in season right now.  We did pack too much clothes especially for baby and for myself, lots of long pants which was not useful at all since it was super hot.  So, ideally if going at this time, pack minimally and wear shorts.  I saw lots of men going around without shirt, just pants because it was that hot.

We were thinking not to do any laundry for the 6 days, but after the 2nd day, cannot tahan as we were sweating so much and changing clothes like 3 times a day.  

AirAsia Premium Flex
I honestly feel this is just crap.  I paid RM1,080 for this.  Apparently I get VIP access to the check-in counter, express boarding and express luggage.  But all these only applicable when in Malaysia, not in China.  And no point getting your luggage out fast when you are stuck in immigration.  Yes, I get to pick-a-seat, I get food and drinks too, I get insurance, but if I were to select these separately, I don't think it will come up to RM1,080.  

Essential items to bring
  • Wet wipes (super useful as soap can be rare at times), not only to wipe baby's bottom, but also for your hands before food
  • A pen - for Malaysian entering China, we need to fill up the immigration card.  Usually, I will make sure I have a pen in my passport bag.  I checked and saw the pen but didn't test it.  When I was about to use it, found the ink was dried up.  So, I wanted to borrow a pen from the air-stewardess.  Now, this is funny.  AirAsia stewards and stewardess only hold 1 pen each.  No extra.  So, they can't lend it to you because they need to tick on their checklist for food and duty-free items.  So I have to borrow someone else's pen and that person was quite reluctant to lend as if something precious.  I didn't realise the importance of a pen until then.  You would think you can write this when you have landed before the immigration counter, so wrong.  At the Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, there is no pen in all the writing counters.  So, please, please, bring a pen or two.  Later when we got to China and unpack, my husband found a pen in his backpack.  Double wham!  
  • Nursing cover - Super, super useful
  • Clip-on fan - very useful together with the stroller
  • Sticker book, games, puzzle to keep baby entertain while on the flight
  • iPad or smart phones with downloaded videos in case baby got tired of the games
This is the must-must on top of the other things like diapers, extra change of clothes, etc.

Social media
Whatsapp, Google, Facebook, Gmail, YouTube is banned in China.  Few years back when I went to China, I was still able to use Whatsapp and video call.  But now it is completely banned.  The only social media app that works is Wechat.  If you know how to use Wechat, super convenient.  There's Wechat wallet where you can keep some RMB and use to pay for transport.  You can use Wechat to call up a taxi service like Uber or Grab and then it is paid using the Wechat wallet.  Very, very convenient.

But other than that, if you are so used to Whatsapp, you will have no access throughout your stay in China unless you sign up for a VPN.  And the VPN network has to be outside China for it to work.  I was so desperate that I manage to sign up ExpressVPN for 30 days trial.  Google Play is banned so have to download using something called APKs.  But in a way good, I have no social media access, wasn't hooked on my phone for a long time and spend some quality time with my girl.

Summary
This is just our experience.  We didn't stay in the hotel.  We stayed with my in-laws and there was a lot of things that we have to compromise.  If we have stayed in a hotel, we would have a fridge to ourselves, a bathroom and toilet to ourselves and a bedroom to ourselves.  With my in-laws, there was no privacy, 1 toilet for all to share and 1 bathroom for all to share.  The kids eat and drink on our bed.  Everywhere was dirty and filthy but that's their way of life.  So, less comfort compared to a hotel.

Also, we didn't join any tour, so we have to search for our own food everyday.  But food was abundant and easy to find.  Also since we didn't join any tour, we didn't get trick into buying Chinese souvenirs.

Public transport is very convenient and going to places was very, very easy, compared to Malaysia.  

Our next trip will be when baby is already 2 years old, meaning she get a seat all by herself.  By then, I hope I have weaned her completely, meaning she probably need to suck on a lollipop.  

Ever since I have flew with her, I am now looking forward to flying with her to other places.  Next target, India!  Fingers-crossed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department