Musicals

I for one is a sucker for musicals.  I love them so much that I have been wanting to watch one, but no chance as none of the shows come to Malaysia.  Guess, in Malaysia demand to watch a musical is not as high, compared to a Jacky Cheung concert.  

I was first introduced to a musical when I was about 10 years old.  It was The Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber.  My cousin loved it so much that she duplicated the songs in the cassette tape that she bought and also hand-written the lyrics and nicely bind them for me.  Later, she introduces Les Miserables, but somehow the music didn't stuck to me as much as The Phantom of the Opera.  

Then I realised I really love musical movies as well and when I watched The Sound of Music, I loved everything about the movie.  Then the next one was Oliver! and then The King and I.  I love them so much.

And when Disney came out with musical cartoon movies, I was hooked.  First was Beauty and the Beast.  Then came Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan and so on.  I especially love the works of Tim Rice and Alan Menken.  It was truly a genius work.  I had all the CDs of each cartoon and would replay them over and over again during school holidays and singing the songs and recording myself singing and pretending I am one of the characters.

When my cousin passed away in a tragic accident, I lost someone who shared this love with me.  No one else in my family love musicals as much as we do.  None of my friends too.  Till now, I can't find someone who share the love for musical with me, not even my husband.

When The Phantom of the Opera came to Singapore many years back, I was tempted to get a ticket and go.  But I just started working and the ticket price was SGD300+ which is like too expensive for me then.  Besides, no one else could or would go with me.

Then when the movie came out, I managed to drag some friends to watch it although they didn't like musicals as much as I did.  The movie was good but I feel it's not as great as a live performance.  It touches me in many places and it closes a huge chapter of my live and for me to move on.  But I feel it didn't do justice to the real thing.

When I was in New York for a short time, I was tempted to drop by for a Broadway show but The Phantom of the Opera wasn't on the show.

In 2016, I was delighted when I read that The Phantom of the Opera World Tour will be stopping at Guangzhou.  Although it is not as near as Singapore, but I was willing to go.  The ticket price was CNY200+.  It was affordable and I could drag my husband along since I read that there will be Chinese subtitles as well.  But, I was pregnant at the same time.  In fact, during those dates, I was about 6 months pregnant.  

I was so interested to go that I checked if I can travel while pregnant and staying with my in-laws and so on and so forth.  I even wanted to go and buy the ticket online.  My husband was going to go China then, so I thought, why don't I follow.  I thought the timing was just right.

But after weighing the pros and cons, I dropped the idea.  The consequences of the negative was too heavy.  Reluctantly and with a heavy heart, I decided it is not meant for me to go.

Now that we have a little one, to watch a musical live is definitely out of the picture for a long, long time.  

My only hope, is for my girl to share this love for musicals with me and we would go together without her father since he is not interested.  

Thanks to YouTube, my thirst for musicals was able to be fulfilled.  Managed to watch The Phantom of the Opera 25th Anniversary and it was too beautiful for words.

Not only that, I managed to watch Les Miserables and finally love their songs.  And then was introduced to more movie musicals, like Singing In The Rain and West End Story.

I was able to open up myself from just The Phantom of the Opera to more and more musicals.  

Then I learned that Koreans and Japanese are avid musical concert-goers.  They even have the musicals in their own language.  Amazing!  

Then I was opened up to a whole new world of musical in the Korean society.  I got to learned about their singers and their amazing voices though I don't understand Korean at all.

OK, there.  My obsession with musicals.  Hopefully, just hoping and crossing my fingers, one day, I get to watch a live musicals, any musicals at all (not tear-jerkers though).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department