Full Review : GB Pockit+ stroller

I wish I have lots of photos to show you but I don't.  I was too busy handling my girl and keeping her still in the stroller.  

I wrote about my first impression of this stroller and it wasn't very positive.  

However, after bringing it to China and back, I have a different opinion now.

As mentioned in my previous post, we didn't use the stroller exclusively in Foshan, the place that we went, was not exactly stroller-friendly.  We were there for 6 days and we only used the stroller like twice.  The stroller was used exclusively at the airport though.

By the way, no one else was using the GB Pockit stroller throughout our stay in Foshan.  In fact, I saw a couple of Vovo strollers, the imitation of Babyzen Yoyo+.  And it was supposed to be autumn now in Foshan but the weather has gotten all wrong and it was still burning hot, like 30C everyday.  So, a lot of the strollers will have a bamboo mat on it as it is cooler to lie on instead of the polyester material.  In fact, I wanted to buy one for our stroller but can't find the right one.  It was very cheap though.

KLIA2 - Leaving Malaysia
We opened the stroller as we entered the gateway@klia2 entrance.  Since we brought along 2 big luggage, weighing 19kg each and 2 backpacks, we quickly got a trolley for the bags.  Husband pushed the trolley, while I pushed the stroller.  

From the 2nd floor, we took the lift to the 2M floor, where the Premium Lounge was located.  I wanted to hang out there since we were 2 hours early.  However, I found that my credit card, which is Citibank Premier Miles, will deduct 3,500 points for each entry per person.  I do have enough points, but think it is a waste to spend these points.  Besides the lounge was small and hardly any space for my girl to walk around.  So, we ended up in McDonalds instead.

After we were done at McDonalds, we thought we could at least check-in.  But was told that we have another half hour before the counter opens.  So, we were hanging around in the mall with the stroller.  However, we didn't push her everywhere because the bags were very heavy.  So, we just sat around and she was getting impatient strapped to the stroller and wanted to walk around.

When the counter opened, we quickly checked in as we want to rid the bags as fast as possible so that we can just walk around with less burden.  We went into the departure hall immediately as we feel pointless hanging around in the mall.  Also, I thought the queue through the immigration might be long, so better go in the earlier the better.

We reached the immigration and there was no queue for me and baby as we used the counter instead of the e-lane.  Husband got out a bit later, but not too long.  Baby sat through the stroller.  The immigration officer didn't request me to take her out to see her face, whatsoever.

We reached the x-ray machine.  Here we have to fold the stroller up before putting it through the machine.  I have to carry baby through the scanner.  Once the stroller was out, we opened it up and strapped baby in it.  She was struggling a bit by now as she was frustrated having to get in and out of the stroller.  I must say, the folding mechanism was not working so well and my husband was putting some force to fold it.  But it did took us like 2 minutes at the most.  But it was a lot of work with 2 backpacks and a baby.  

Once we passed that, we went straight to the boarding area with the stroller.  We found that we have ample time before our flight.  Baby didn't want to sleep and wanted to walk around and didn't want to be strapped in the stroller.  So, one of us was guarding the bags and stroller, while another one bring her for a walk.

Right before we enter our boarding hall, we folded the stroller to the ultra compact size and kept it inside the traveller's bag that I bought right before this trip.  I must say, folding into the ultra compact size took some time, say 5 minutes.  Certain places were stuck and I was worried if putting force on it will break the aluminium.  But my husband manage to close the stroller and put into the bag and carried it on board the plane and put on top of the cabin.  The 2 backpacks were kept under the seat in front of us.  The airport staff didn't realise it was a stroller and didn't take it away from us.

Guangzhou Baiyun Airport - Reaching China
Here, the moment we landed and out of the plane, I quickly took out the stroller as we don't want to walk any further carrying baby.  As it took some time for us to open the stroller (I don't know why but somewhere seems to get stuck all the time), until everyone has left, we were the last ones behind, still trying to open the stroller.  Finally managed to open and strapped baby and the ground staff waited for us to leave before he closed the door behind us.  

At the immigration clearance, the foreigners line were much, much longer compared to the local one.  So, husband went out pretty fast, but I was stuck behind with baby on a stroller.  My bad, I passed both backpacks to husband, so I didn't have any food or drink for baby.  The queue was moving very slowly and baby was getting a bit frustrated and making noise.  I kept on distracting her with our passports, lipbalm and whatever thing that can be found on my passport bag.  Finally after about 20 minutes, it was our turn.  I have to take baby out as the officer want to see her face.  That took like 5 minutes and then we reunited with husband.  Strapped baby again and took the lift to the Ground Floor, where our luggage was.  Once there, we waited and waited and was wondering how come no bags on the conveyor belt and was thinking perhaps it was delayed or what.  Then after waiting for 15 minutes, someone gestured and told us that our bags were in front.  Sure enough, everyone else have taken their bags and left with ours on the floor.  Sigh, paiseh.

Once we loaded the luggage on the trolley, we quickly went through customs and got out without being stopped.  We wanted to take the express bus but found the next bus was at 11.55pm and we have to wait like 1.5 hours.  So, we decided to take the taxi instead.

We quickly loaded the taxi with luggage and bags and folded the stroller and we were off to our destination.

We reached my in-law's house slightly before midnight and we didn't use the stroller anymore as we needed to walk up 3 flights of stairs to the 3rd floor and then take the lift to the 5th floor.  We felt it was pointless.  Poor husband have to lug the bags of total 40kg up 3 flights of stairs and 2 backpacks and a stroller.  I wanted to help him but I was carrying baby and the place was dark.

Foshan - First Day
We woke up late that day having slept at 2am only.  I wanted to buy some milk and some bread for baby to eat so we decided to venture out to the nearby mall with the stroller.

Going down the apartment block with the stroller folded, so I was carrying 9kg baby and husband was carrying 5kg stroller.  Once out in the open, we pushed the stroller along the roads, next to moving cars sometimes because the curbs are often parked with motorcycles and bicycles or need to walk up a few stairs before we reach the curb.  There was no ramps.

The mall was within walking distance and once there we found that the lift was not shown where.  Finally found the lift and then waited for a long time before we can get in it.  My mother-in-law was complaining because it was unusual for her to take the lift since the supermarket was just 1 floor only, escalator will do.  

Once in the supermarket, our backpack have to be sealed with the supermarket allocated bag (to prevent theft) and my 2 nephews were causing a commotion.  

Right before we left the apartment, I gave our soft drink from AirAsia to one of the nephews and he brought it to the supermarket.  So, I told him to keep inside our backpack and drink later when we were out but he didn't want to listen and my mother-in-law quickly opened it up for him to drink there and then.  He was stubborn and wanted to walk in with the can but was stopped by the staff and we have to wait outside for him to finish the drink.  Baby was on the stroller but was getting frustrated having push here and there and not going anywhere.  She started throwing tantrum and I have to get her off the stroller.

After about 10 minutes, we managed to enter the supermarket and manage to get baby back on the stroller although she was making a lot of noise.  The supermarket was super crowded due to the long holidays and I just wanted to buy the things I needed and get out of there.  After few minutes, baby can't stand it anymore and refused to be on the stroller.  I have no choice but to take her out and put her on the trolley instead.  My mother-in-law pushed the empty stroller.  

After a lot of struggle to get whatever we wanted, we went to pay and I manage to strapped baby back to the stroller by giving her some food and then we were out of there.  But we bought a lot of things and have to lug them back and we walked back with hands full.

Again finding lifts and getting into one was so troublesome but manageable and then found a nearby place to have lunch.  Took baby out from stroller and then once done, put her back and at the entrance of the apartment, we have to fold the stroller again for the 3 flights of stairs.  This time husband got tired of folding the stroller and decided to carry the stroller together with baby up 3 flights of stairs.

After this trip, we decided it was easier with the baby-carrier.  I also forgotten to put the clip-on fan, so perhaps she was hot in there.

Foshan - Petting zoo and bookshop
Since the first day, we didn't use the stroller anymore and it was nicely folded next to our bed.  We decided it was too troublesome with the stroller and preferred the baby carrier as both of my hands will be free and my husband don't have to lug so many things.  I didn't feel the weight much carrying baby although my back was aching a little.

Then one day, we decided to visit a mini petting zoo and a bookshop which is located in the same building.  We took the stroller with us.  Before we entered the bus, we folded the stroller and husband was carrying it while I carried baby.

When we reached the building, we found the petting zoo was located on the rooftop of the building.  However, the lift only go to the 4th floor and we have to take an escalator to the 7th floor and then stair case to the rooftop.  Until the escalator, we folded the stroller and then when we reached and was about the enter the petting zoo, the staff informed us that place is not stroller friendly as there was a lot of stairs and walking up and down and no ramps.  She even told us to leave the stroller at the information counter but I was not comfortable with that idea and took the folded stroller with us.

The thing with a folded stroller is that we need someone to keep an eye on it while we took the kids around.  So luckily my mother-in-law decided to just sit and watch the things.

Once we were done, there was a bit of commotion and confusion as my in-laws didn't want to eat there and wanted to eat back home while my husband and I wanted to stay there to eat because we want to visit the bookshop which is just in the same building after lunch.  So, we decided to walk separate ways and went around looking for a nice restaurant.

After pushing the stroller, trying to find the lift and then the restaurant, finally found it.  I don't know who built this building, the lift is located on top of the stair case.  I mean, it is so inconvenient for people with strollers or wheelchairs.  Anyway, we found the restaurant and eat with our heart's content and then when we finished, baby was getting a bit cranky and sleepy.  I put on the clip-on fan and strapped her to the stroller.  The clip-on fan was clipped to where the folded canopy is.  So the fan flow directly on top of her head.

After lunch, I pushed her around for a bit and at the bookstore and she was fast asleep.  This was the only time I truly appreciate the stroller.  She slept so soundly and we had some free time to look around.  We were there for at least an hour the most and she slept throughout.  GB Pockit was so compact that can squeeze into narrow lanes, so I really enjoyed that.

Finally when we went back, we decided against taking the bus since the Wechat Didi, which is similar to Uber is cheaper.   Just need to hail it using Wechat and within minutes there was a car waiting for us.  This time we have to wake baby up as we needed to fold the stroller and put her in the car.

Guangzhou Baiyun Airport - Leaving China
We have a morning flight and left the apartment at 6am.  We took a Didi from my in-law's apartment to the bus station and then express bus to the airport.  Stroller was kept folded as we didn't want to open and close until we reach the airport.

Once at the airport, we quickly opened and strapped baby on it.  We quickly check-in our luggage and quickly headed to departure hall.  

Here, we have to go through the security check first before the immigration.  And male and female are on separate lanes.  By then baby was took tired and was fast asleep on the stroller.  I told husband to fold the stroller to put it through the x-ray machine while I carry baby and we both took separate lanes.

Once we got out the security check, I quickly strapped baby back to the stroller as she was still fast asleep.  Next immigration.  Husband and I can go through the same lane.  No segregation of local and foreigner here.  Officer wants to see baby's face, so I have to unstrap her, carry her and show it to the officer.  Once we got out, I strapped her back again and she was still asleep.  Must be tired to wake up at 5am.

Once inside the boarding area, we just hung out with her on the stroller and with the clip-on fan.  And right before we enter the plane, we folded to the ultra compact and me carrying baby who was still fast asleep.  

KLIA2 - Reaching Malaysia
Here, I made a big mistake.  Once we were off the plane, I told my husband let's not unfold the stroller until after immigration because I don't want to strap and unstrap her.  Big, big mistake as it was a long walk from the plane right to immigration.  

At immigration, husband and I went separate ways and he took the stroller with him while this time I took a backpack with me.  I got out very, very fast and immediately went to get the luggage.  I put baby on the floor and told her to stay there and wait for me while I lug the 20kg luggage to the trolley.  Phew, luckily she was in her best behaviour.  Since I have to push the trolley and carry baby at the same time, I put her on top of the trolley and told her to stay there while we waited for husband to come out.  It took him like 30-45 minutes to come out and luckily baby was well rested and didn't make too much noise.  Once we came out, we quickly unfolded the stroller and push her through customs check and then out and to the car park.  Phew!

Conclusion
Thanks for reading my long-winded review.  As you can see, the pros of having a GB Pockit for travelling is that it can be folded and bring on board the plane.  But that's the only pros.  Because I see others travelling with just umbrella stroller and it acted the same way, except perhaps they have to surrender to the ground staff before boarding the plane.  But we didn't use the stroller so much until we collected our luggage, so I guess we can wait for the stroller to come out should we use other strollers that need to be gate check-in.

Despite being a very compact stroller, it was still weighing at 5kg.  So, that is something you might want to think about as umbrella stroller weighs lesser.  And once folded, it is an additional burden.

I was thinking how things will be if I didn't take the stroller, but took the baby carrier throughout.  I think it would have been easier to move around.  Except need to put it through the x-ray machine, but otherwise, it will be more convenient.  Unless you have back problems and feeling the weight and all that.  But otherwise, I think I would have just use the baby-carrier throughout and forget about the stroller.

It was a little hot in the baby carrier and I was sweating a lot and so was baby.  So, there.

I didn't regret getting the GB Pockit+ stroller though.  I think it is very compact and easy and I hope to use it more often now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department