A short trip with a 6 month old

So we survived a short trip with a 6 month old.  I must say, it is pretty easy to travel with Baby A.  Now that we understand her reasons for crankiness, we are able to adjust to her.

We went to Ipoh for a 3 days, 2 nights stay.  

The day before the trip
Packing for a baby is amazing.  There's just so much to pack.  Here's our packing list:

For Baby:
  • 10 diapers
  • 2 pairs of pyjamas
  • 4 short sleeve onesies
  • 1 long sleeve onesie
  • 2 pairs of socks (though we never used them as Baby A is a hot baby and sweats a lot and dislike anything covering her feet)
  • 2 long pants (just in case she gets cold in her onesies)
  • 2 bathing towels
  • 4 wash cloths
  • 3 muslin cloths (can use as burp cloth, blanket, towel)
  •  1 milk bottle
  • 1 Avent bottle warmer
  • 2 storage bottles filled with 4 oz milk
  • All her teethers and toys (like 5 of them)
We contemplated bringing the sterilizer as well, but then thought to make things easier, hot water would be sufficient.  I brought along a Pureen sterilizer tablet just in case.

For Mommy:
  • Breast pump and parts
  • Cooler bag with ice pack
  • 5 empty storage bottles
  • Container for sterilizing
  • Bottle brushes
And of course our toiletries and clothes.

Day 1
Firstly, secure the car seat and make sure it is properly done.  Because the journey takes 2 hours and driving on the highway at 110km/h, it's not safe without car seat.  

Baby got up at 7am.  Bathed her and fed her.  Then we did our last minute packing, i.e charger, food, toiletries etc.  

Once we have loaded the car with the luggage and all the stuff, then we started the engine and kept the air-cond running.  Then we secure Baby A into the car seat.

Baby A was good.  Throughout the 2 hour journey, she slept through.  The Maxi-Cosy infant seat got a shade and that kept the sun away.

I managed to pump once during the journey.  Some mothers said, no need to pump.  Just direct latch the whole time.  But Baby A can't finish and I have to pump out to relieve. 

We went shopping and visited some relatives.  Baby was easy.  She only cries when she wants to suckle to sleep and knowing that I am there with her all the time, she requested to suckle every single time she wants to sleep (unlike when I am not around).  So the nursing cover is super handy and I used that everywhere.  In the car (because others are also in the car), at relative's house, at shopping mall and at restaurants.  No one questioned me.

We stayed in the Lost World Hotel that night.  At first when we got into the room, I was shocked that there was no mini bar.  Then I called up Front Desk and asked if I could keep the breast milk into their fridge and I was told that they can send a mini bar to my room instead.  Phew.  Manage to keep all the ice packs and bottles of pumped milk inside.

That night, we visited the Hot Spring in Lost World.  Baby can't go into the water yet, although I saw a lot of parents bringing their babies in, but it is not advisable because of the heat of the water, I guess.  So, Baby A and I just wondered all over the place.  I didn't bring the SSC into the Lost World so, carrying her for about 1 hour plus gave me a backache.  My husband said he should have brought extra T'shirts so that we can take turns to go into the water.  

But I was not interested to get into the water.  I mean, I like and enjoyed hot water.  But I don't like to be in it too long as my body would heat up very fast.  And the thing about hot water is when you get up, it's super cold.  And I don't like that feeling.  

After the hot springs, we went back to the hotel to shower.  I got hungry and found that PapaRich which is just next to the hotel is opened until 11pm, kitchen closes at 10.30pm.  By that time, baby was sleepy.  I tried to latch her to sleep and she did for a short moment.  Then got up about half and hour later and we went down to PapaRich for supper.  Baby slept throughout the night.

Day 2
I woke up at 6am, just like working days to pump.  Best time as everyone were still sleeping.

Breakfast was provided by the hotel.  Buffet style.  Baby got up at 7am and after we bathed her in the sink (yes, so much easier), fed her and we got ready for breakfast.  Luckily the sink got hot water so it makes it so much easier to bath her.  But we brought along a basin to bath her in the relative's house.  Next time, I will try to shower with her together.

The whole time while eating, baby was sitting on our laps and watches us eat.  

Day 2 was jalan-jalan cari makan day.  As we were staying at a relative's house that night, we checked-out first.  This day, I baby-wear Baby A.  

Started at Concubine Lane.  Nothing much happening there.  But good food.  We had the egg tarts and then tau fu fah and then egg custard and satay and so on.  Don't know whether it's the ambiance or what, but the food there taste nicer than other places.  Historically, this lane has 2 rows of shops which houses mistresses of rich men during the olden times.  Hence, the name.


Then we went to another restaurant to eat the yummy roasted pork and apam.  But Baby A fell asleep in the SSC and so I decided to stay in the car (with the air-cond on, of course) while others went and ate.

Then we headed to the relative's house to unload and rest time for mommy and baby together.

Then at night, we headed to the Medan Selera (forgot what's the name already) to eat and have a cup of ice cream at another relative's shop.


Then we headed back to the relative's house to call it the night.  

Baby woke up at 3am because someone went to the toilet and baby saw the light and woke her up.  She decided it's time to wake up.  I tried to latch her but she would unlatch on her own.  Switch from left to right and back and still she was so energetic.  Talking, blowing raspberries, playing with her toys.  I tried to coerce her back to sleep but to no avail.  Finally, I brought her downstairs where husband is sleeping and woke him up to make milk for baby.  She drank and brought her back up.  Played for a while and only slept around 4-5am.  I was so dead tired the next day.

Day 3
But I still managed to get up before everyone else to pump.  A must do every single morning.  Then when I was almost done, relative came in to wake all of us up.  It was already 8am.  

We had a quick brunch, bought some kuihs and then headed back to KL.  Baby slept all the way back.

Conclusion
Overall, bringing a 6 month old on a short trip is quite easy.  It would have been easier if we have stayed in the hotel for 2 nights instead of 1.  Because staying at the relatives was not as convenient as we have lots of bottles to wash and sterilize and have to pinjam their fridge to store my milk and I am not sure how they feel about it as they are childless.  

Baby only cries when she is sleepy and hungry.  Otherwise she is quiet and enjoyed looking at the world.  Bringing the Lillebaby soft-structured-carrier was so convenient especially where places that you need to walk a lot and a stroller is not convenient.  

Baby sweats a lot.  Sometimes I wondered if I bought the organic cotton Lillebaby would it make a difference for her.  

Otherwise, her routine is quite simple.  Wake up, bath, drink milk, stay awake for 4 hours, sleep for 2-3 hours, wake up, drink milk, stay awake for another 4 hours and it goes on and on until bedtime.  

The downside is probably because my hands are full and my attention is on her 100%, I hardly got time to take photos and enjoy the places.  And because I didn't pump on schedule, I couldn't save enough milk for her on Monday.  Sigh.  More solid food then.  Or formula.

These are the things that are essential in order to make pumping a pleasant place.

  1. A kettle
  2. Mini bar or fridge
Of course, direct latching would have been the easiest.  And I might just try this for our next trip which is next month.  Just 1 night and 2 days.  Let's see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department