Glass milk bottle

From the beginning, I have decided to use glass milk bottle, instead of the BPA-free plastic milk bottles.  Reasons was because I am not very fond of plastic and I don't 100% fully believe in BPA-free products.

On hearing that many girls nowadays reached puberty as young as 7 years old, it just makes me cringe that there are too many artificial hormones in our food and products.  

So, glass bottles it is for my baby.  I do however keep my milk in plastic BPA-free storage bottles simply because I couldn't find any glass bottles at that time.  But now I have found a supplier, but not keen on buying one as hubby who is my sterilizer person is against it saying that glass makes the bottle hotter and difficult to hold.

Another reason why he is against it, I feel, is because he broke baby's milk glass bottle twice.  YES, both times also him.  Sigh.

Anyway, having search many glass milk bottles, here's my review on those that I have been using.

1. Philips AVENT Natural Glass Bottle

I started with this, 4oz bottle.  And I like it very much.  It's a little heavier than plastic (of course) but I like how thick the glass is.  It's also easier to bring about as it is small.

However, there's a huge down side to this bottle.  It leaks.  After using it for 2-3 months, it would start to leak.  I have already changed the cap and the teat twice because of severe leaking.

This is the one that hubby broke TWICE.  First, he hit it against the sink and edge broke.  Second, he was trying to take the wet tissue out of the bag and was yanking it out hard and out came this bottle, flying as fast as it can.  That shattered into pieces.

I did bought an extra 8oz glass bottle but I couldn't use it after the 4oz broke as the Mr Hubby threw the cap, together with the teat into the bin.  And I realised, you can't buy the cap separately.  Would be an added point to create a silicon protective shield like the rest.  Philips AVENT bottle designer/creator, are you hearing me???  Hint Hint!!

Also, this bottle is the most expensive one of all.  This small fellow costs me RM90+ without discount.

2. MAM Feel Good Glass Bottle

My sister swears on this brand because my nephew was so picky about his bottles last time, he refused one and she has no choice but to direct latch instead of pumping.  So, when he weaned himself off, this was the first and only brand he accepted until now.  He uses the plastic anti-colic ones.

So after the Philips AVENT 4oz bottle broke, we quickly got this bottle as a replacement.  At first I was worried that baby may not like the silk teat as it is flat and not rounded.

After first few tries, she just take it.  Guess which colour we bought?

I like this one because of the cute design on the bottle, which I can't find in any other glass milk bottles.  Also, I find that this glass is thinner, so when warming up milk, it's faster to get warm compared to the Philips AVENT glass bottles.  Besides, I like the opening of the bottle, which is large enough for me to tilt the breast milk storage bottle when I pour the milk into this bottle and let the breast milk storage bottle there until each and every drop is inside the glass bottle.  The Philips AVENT could do this too.

It doesn't have the silicon protective cover though and I feel this bottle is a little flimsy because of the thinner glass.  So, I am extra careful with this one.

On the down side, because I got the 8oz bottle, it can't fit into the Philips AVENT thermal bottle warmer with the cover close.

This is reasonable.  About RM80+.

3. Lifefactory Glass Baby Bottle

At the same time, I also bought this bottle as a spare, just in case he broke the MAM bottle.  Initially, I wanted to buy this only and not the MAM because this has the silicon protective shield which prevent it from breaking and after breaking 2 glass bottles, I feel I need this very much.

So, this is what I like about this bottle.  The silicon protective shield.  I also like how it can be converted to a sippy cup.  The best part is that you don't have to remove the silicon cover and you can just put the whole thing into the dishwasher or sterilizer.

What I don't like is this bottle is much heavier than the MAM bottle and it doesn't fit into our sterilizer nicely (have to tilt it instead of straight).  Besides, the sippy cup teat doesn't have a cover and just leave it open like that.  Also, the opening of the bottle is small, so I cannot tilt the breast milk storage bottle like I did for the above bottles.

Otherwise, I think it's a very handy bottle.  Glad to know that baby likes it as well.

This is a little expensive, about RM90+.

4. Dr Brown's Glass Bottle


Actually, this was the very first bottle that I bought for baby and I forgot all about it because I thought my breastfeeding would be so successful that I won't need a bottle.  So, this was left in the cupboard.  What I don't like about this bottle is that blue thingy which actually works as an anti-colic thingy.  The moment I took that off, the teat is loose.  So, this bottle is not effective without that blue thing.

It also has a silicon protective shield which is sold separately and I also bought it.

Can't remember how much this cost though.

After buying Dr Brown's bottle, I realised the teat is small and not wide neck.  As my breastfeeding journey was not that successful, baby started formula in a bottle and I was worried she might have nipple confusion, hence I started her off with the Philips AVENT Natural glass bottle because of the wide neck.  She likes that a lot and doesn't have nipple confusion with it, which I am glad.

Conclusion:
There are many other brands that also carry the glass bottle feature.  I feel like I want to try all of them because they are so cute.  BTW, I have bought another PHILIPS Avent Glass Bottle, 4oz again, because I feel baby is not drinking enough milk with the other bottles.  Not sure why.  So, am going to try using the Avent again.  

I was also thinking about buying stainless steel bottles.  But heard something about breast milk doesn't go very well in stainless steel bottles.  

My parents were telling me that I am buying too many bottles.  They used to use the soft drink glass bottles and attached a teat on it to drink.  

I am also hearing things about using condense milk to feed babies in the old times because they were too poor and don't have enough breast milk.  I will talk about this next post.

Till the glass broke again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department