My 101th post - About my gynae

Wow, I didn't realise that I made it to the 101th post within a year's time of blogging.

Today I am going to share about my gynae.  He is Dr Jason Lim from Sunway Medical Center.  Initially, I wanted to go to a female gynae because I feel only a female can understand another female.  But there wasn't any female gynae that suit my liking at Sunway Medical Center.  No offence to the other female gynaes, but somehow I just didn't have that 'feel', you know that connection.

Dr Jason may looked very strict on the outside but I feel he is very caring inside.  I am not doing this post to give him more business or what.  As it is, he is always packed with patients.  Appointments are always full.  But just want to share how I feel having him as my gynae.  You know how personal are gynaes to you right?  After what I went through with the first gynae during the first pregnancy, I decided to go to gynaes with good reviews from family and friends instead of someone who offers cheaper fees.  Yes, Dr Jason's fees can be on the high side.

First, what I like was during my initial checkup at Week 6, he did an ultrasound just from the external.  Meaning, he put the device on my lower abdomen to check that the sac is there.  My first gynae did transvaginal ultrasound.  I don't know what difference it makes to a baby at Week 6, but somehow I feel very comfortable not having anything shove inside my privates when I was almost on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  I felt that was quite a nice gesture.

Second, when I told him about my history of miscarriage and told him my feelings about this current pregnancy, he was counselling me and told me that nature will have a way.  If pregnancy is not good, nature will make do with it.  Otherwise, it will go on.  That was very comforting to hear and I almost broke into tears hearing that.  I had really bad experience with the first gynae when he found there was no heartbeat.  He just blurted out, "Sorry, no heartbeat", and went like a broken record to tell me scientifically why it happened.  No words of comfort.  And then it was like, "When do you want to remove this pregnancy?"  And I was out of the room and he was like NEXT!  

Third, each time after I had the scan, he will tell me let me clean you up first.  Then he will hold me hand to slowly pull me up.  I thought that was very gentlemanly of him to do when there was a nurse is on standby.  

Fourth, his advice is to eat a healthy diet and sometimes I don't even need prenatals.  But after Week 8, he advised me to buy a prenatals from pharmacy and gave me a rundown of what they usually contains.  He didn't promote any prenatals for any pharmacy.  Not that the previous gynae did, but that gynae gave me lots of vitamins and charges me for that.  Dr Jason didn't give me any.

Fifth, he is very experienced.  And I also heard from friends that he is pro natural delivery.  Enough said.  I also like the way he explained in detail to me and my husband and answered all my questions and queries.  

Personally I feel it's very important to get yourself a good gynae.  Forget about the fees for a moment.  What is important is you and your baby.  Before pregnancy, start researching for one.  However, you may not know if he or she may be to your liking until you are pregnant.  So, it's important to read forums and find out what other mothers had or get reviews from someone whom already gave birth.  I feel you need to find someone whom you are comfortable with because this is gonna be long term, as in 9 months.  This especially true when you are having the first child.

For me, I was not very comfortable with male gynaes at first, thinking that another man is touching me and all that.  But sometimes, it's really worth having a male gynae.  I don't know, it's just my two cents, my personal opinion and just me.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rainbow. My personal experience with Dr. Jason was not pleasant & uncomfortable. maybe becos i'm single (had fibroid). Anyways, i am seeing a female gynae now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ally for your reply. Yes, it depends from individual to individual. He is strict with his patients that's for sure. It's good to get a gynae that you are comfortable.

      Delete
    2. You are right, Rainbow. Gynae-patient relationship differs from one individual to another. Wishing you all the best & safe delivery

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department