My birth plan

After much research, reading up and thoughts, I have finally finalise my birth plan.  But I haven't spoken to my Obgyn about it yet as I don't know if it is too early to tell him.

The last checkup on Saturday, he said I have yet to enter my 8th month of pregnancy.  Still in my 7th-ish month.  Week 33 plus would be 8 months.  4 weeks doesn't equal to a month in pregnancy calculation.  Baby is good.  Growing very well.  1.7kg by now.  Heartbeat 160bpm.  Head size, leg size and waist size was measured.  All good though he did say her waist is a little big.  Hmm....fat and short baby??

OK, I have a very simple plan.  Really, really simple.  The rest I will leave it to the professionals.

1. No epidural.  If really cannot tahan, will take the gas.
2. Natural birth.
3. No induce.

That's it.  But again, all these are subject to my final month's condition.  The things that might affect my birth plan would be:

1. Pre-eclampsia - This condition causes the pregnant women's blood pressure to shoot up to a dangerous level.  Most women have to have c-section in such cases, especially if it is before 38 weeks.  Otherwise, it would affect both baby and mother.  My colleague had this and gave birth to a preemie at Week 34.  It happened very suddenly for her.  An emergency c-section had to happen.  Her child is fine and growing up well now.  Which is why for every checkup, our urine were tested to see if there's protein in it.

2. Gestational diabetes - Baby can become too big if not controlled.  Big babies = c-section (by today's standard).  But again, I have heard some mothers delivered a 4kg baby naturally.  It really depends on individual.  If you can tahan the pain, then do it.  A friend who had gestational diabetes had to control her food intake and sugar.  She did so well that her baby remained small and she gave birth naturally.

3. If no sign of contraction or labour start by Week 40 - Your Obgyn may decide to put you on IV drips to induce.  The reason I don't want to be induce is because few of my friends told me that they tried to induce.  But in the end, the cervix still not 10cm yet and then have to c-section.  In the end, both areas were in pain, i.e the vagina and the lower abdomen.  Longer recovery.

4. Big baby - As mentioned in No.2, big baby = c-section by today's standard.  Another colleague, baby weighed 4kg was told to just do c-section so that it's easier for her.

5. If baby is late and pooed - This can be dangerous as baby may become infected by the poo.  So have to quickly take baby out.  This happened to one of my friend.  First baby, late, water broke and pooed.  Went to hospital and contraction started but cervix doesn't open.  In the end, c-section to make things easier.

6. If water broke and cervix still not open - This is quite common in first time mothers.  It can be dangerous for baby as the water level becomes lesser.  Heart movement will be monitored to ensure everything is ok.  Otherwise, c-section.

7. If the umbilical cord is around baby's neck - Another dangerous situation for baby.  They could suffocate.  That's why the check-up during the last trimester is so important.  If baby is still ok, i.e umbilical cord not tightly around the baby's neck, then still can wait.  If baby's heartbeat slow down, then it's not good sign.  Also important to check if baby's movement is active or slow down or stop completely.  Happened to my sister-in-law.  Gave birth somewhere in the 8th month.  Preemie too.

These are some of the factors that I have heard from experienced moms.  In the end, it's all up to God Almighty because neither you, your baby nor your Obgyn can change any of these situations.  

I think I will just state my birth plan and then surrender the doing to God.  In the end, I can't control my consequences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department