Time to get ready for baby's arrival - no, not the real thing yet

From the time I fell pregnant, until now in my 3rd trimester, my work load has been really low.  Most of the time, I have nothing to do except to follow up by phone calls or emails.  And that too takes me about few hours to do and that's it.  So rest of the day, I am free to do whatever I want, at my own pace.

Currently my work load is kinda like ad hoc basis.  Sometimes I hope they will not retrench me, especially in these bad economical times.  But they did made me a coordinator for a new project.

So, as I have lots of free time, sometimes 8 hours a day, I do a lot of surfing.  In the early months, it was all about pregnancy and reading up on them.  Then later it was about breastfeeding and what to buy for baby.

The stress at work has been really zero, really no joke.  And I really hope it stays that way until I deliver.  

Now that I am in the last phase of the pregnancy, it's about time to get ready for baby's arrival.  I am still wary about doing things too early.  But was told by my colleagues who are already mom to many kids, to start now before I get heavier and bulkier.

To co-sleep or not?
This has been on my mind.  While I do prefer to co-sleep with baby, at least during my 2 months maternity leave, but I was told better not to.  Or else baby won't sleep anywhere else if I am not around.  Which I also feel it's kinda true.  But I do want to fully breastfeed her and when I go back to work, to express at work.

The benefits of co-sleeping is written here.  The thing is, our bed is a queen size bed and we have already decided for hubby to sleep on the floor while I sleep on the bed with baby.  

In fact, prior to this, when a friend decided to give me her baby's rattan cradle, I thought that's a brilliant idea.

Taken from www.cenderahatirotan.blogspot.my
Beautiful isn't it?  I thought that this will be downstairs when I am back at work and when baby is with her grandparents.  It will be easy for them to rock her to sleep.  Then again, someone told me baby would be so use to the rocking that she doesn't sleep anywhere else without rocking.  

Somehow, the friend didn't say about her baby's rattan cradle anymore, although I did asked her.  So, scrape off this plan.

Then I thought maybe I should put a cot beside our bed.  That will help when I go back to work.  So, maybe that will have to do.

If she co-sleeps with me, I am going to invest in this:


It's called Babymoov Cosysleep and cost about RM212.  It's suppose to reduce Sudden Infant Death (SID) and provides good support for baby while she sleeps.  I thought of putting it next to me on our bed.  This can also be used in a cot.  But until 6 months only.

I am also trying to think of long-term instead of short-term.   Like the cradle, we can't use it more than 6 months or when baby can turn over.  So it's not really very economical.  At least a cot can be use until 2.5 years old or until she knows how to climb down.

To breastfeed or not
Definitely yes!  A resounding yes!  I am going to buy Gina Yong's Breastfeeding book to learn more about breastfeeding for a Malaysian mom.  

When I go back to work, I am planing to express at work.  And I have also planned to buy Spectra M1 Double Electric Breastpump which costs about RM500.


If you want more information on breastfeeding, there is a certified lactation consultant who opened the shop called Pump On The Go.  They also have an online store.  Apparently, you can try out the pumps at their shop before buying one to see which one suits you best.

To cloth diaper or disposable diaper
I am all for GREEN and environmental friendly.  So, from start, I don't have the heart to let my baby wear disposable diaper because it's plastic after all.  I might change my mind when baby comes.  But right now, I am all for cloth diaper.  I understand that there will be more washing to be done, etc, but I feel if it's better for the environment, then it's ok to be hardworking at washing.

I might used disposable diaper when going out.  But if I am at home, cloth diaper it is.

There are many brands out there, some local, some imported.  Some said GroVia is very good but with the USD hiking up, it is about RM60 per shell.  Local brand Autumnz also very good, cost about RM40.  I touched the material and liked it.  

But while Googling, I found this fairly new local brand called Tiny Bibiya.  I might go ahead with this one because it's so much cheaper than the rest.  

Also, I will probably be using flat diapers or muslin diapers as inserts.  I always prefer cotton to polyester.  And I read that microfiber may not be that great for baby's skin.  I personally do not like to touch microfiber cloths.  


OK.  that's it for now.  These are the things that are on my mind.  But budget is not so good this month and I have overspent.  So, probably next month only I can start buying these stuff.  

I am so blessed to received preloved Baby car seat, baby stroller and a diaper changing table.  So, overall, the big expenses only needed for the above items and not more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department