Placenta

My colleague suddenly asked me this question, "What are you going to do with your placenta after birth?"

Seriously, I didn't even know that that is a question.  I mean, wouldn't it be more natural for the hospital to just dispose it?  

Well, now I know.

The Malays and some Indians like my colleague here bring the placenta back home, wash them and then buried it in the ground.  Apparently, they believed that the placenta is part of a living being and some evil people may use them for evil purposes, like making black magic with it.

The Indian colleague also said that someone offered RM1k for her relative's placenta.  Imagine that!

As far as I know, the Chinese in China take them home and make it into soup and eat it.

But not the Chinese here.  

So, I did some research and apparently our placenta has lots of nutrients that can prevent aging and give you beautiful skin.  If the new mother eat it, she may not have post-partum depression.

So here's what people do with their placenta:

1. The latest one is to make it into a capsule.  It's called placenta encapsulation.  Then the new mother would take the capsule everyday after birth.  You can find this service in Malaysia too.

2. Cut it up and make it into a healthy soup (just like the Chinese do in China).  I have heard stories from my husband that his uncle actually booked my sister-in-law's placenta before birth and then he took it back, make soup and ate it.

3.  Make a teddy bear.  Ok, this I cannot accept.  

4. Make art with it.  This too, I can't.

5.  Buried it.

I understand that our placenta may be very good and nutritious and all that.  But eating a part of myself, it's like cutting my flesh and eating it.  I don't know about others, but I can't accept the eating part.  It's too gross.

As for the burying part, I still find it acceptable.  My colleague said the placenta has a weird, bloody smell and lots of blood on it (well, what do we expect right?).  And when she saw her relative washed it, she felt grossed out.  Another colleague said she has eaten her placenta before and since then doesn't really go for animal internal organs.

So, I will probably just going to let the hospital handle it.  I believe they are ethical enough and not sell them to outsiders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department