Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT)

So, I did GTT last Thursday.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  But here's what happened.

What happen?
First, I have to fast for 8-10 hours before the first blood test.  On the day of the test, the nurse took my first blood test.  Then he came with a cup (dispenser cup size) and half a packet of glucose powder.  He mixed the glucose powder with warm water and told me to take my time to drink it.  Once I am done, I should tell him the time.

I happened to meet an older colleague who was also there for this blood test.  He said he does this glucose test like every quarter of the year and it's like nothing to him.  His advice was to gulp the whole cup down.  

I did as follow.  But I think I should have drank it slowly.  Because right after that, I felt queasy and wanted to vomit.  Luckily, I managed to hold it in because during the second blood test, the nurse asked if I vomited.  I said no.  He said if I did, the test would be cancel.  Smart.  He should have told me earlier.

Anyway, after the drink, I was told to wait for 2 hours before the next blood test.  I can walk everywhere but not out of the hospital.  I also can't eat yet until after the next blood test.  Then I should not eat too much, just little by little because I might still be queasy.

The taste?
I don't know about you but sometimes when I had sore throat, my mom would make me a sugar drink, which apparently to soothe the throat.  She put in some rock sugar and water and boil them together and make me drink it.  It taste sugary and yet quite pleasant to drink.

Now, this glucose test is a thicker version of my mom's concoction.  So thick.  Just imagine this.  It's like you are drinking a cup of caramel.  But instead of brown, it's white.  And instead of that burnt caramel taste, this is pure sugar solution, which is sticky and slimy and thick.

It's not the best taste in the world, but tolerable.  I did felt like even if I don't have diabetes, after this drink I might have it because it's really too sweet.  Unbearably sweet.

The experience?
It's not as bad as I thought it would be.  I mean the taste was not that pleasant because of the overly sweetness.  I guess the waiting time was the one that makes me irritated.  2 hours in a hospital doing nothing except watching some YouTube videos (thank God got free WiFi), was extremely boring.  I thought I would be hungry because I haven't eaten anything since 11pm the night before and it was 12 hours since I last eaten.  The second blood test was at 11.35am.  But after the sugary solution, I lost my appetite for any food.  In fact, I don't even feel hungry.

The result?
I don't know yet.  But apparently, the result was out within half an hour after the second blood test.  But it goes directly to my ObGyn.  And if there's something wrong, then the ObGyn clinic would call me.  I haven't receive any call yet, so maybe everything is ok.  And I hope everything is ok.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Grand Lexis vs Lexis Hibiscus at Port Dickson

The Big Kindy Search Continues

PPUM Pediatrics Emergency Department